Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QT tank

QT tank

Hi,

I'm in need to setup a QT tank as one of my fish caught ICK... So what I did is to get my 10G tank and take some water from my big tank(75G). I added a small filter to my 10G with an heater. And after I have treated the water with some medecine.

So now I'm wondering if I have to do something else... As now the water is foggy. Maybe it's the medecine that as done that. Do I have to do some water change while my fish is in there.

Let me know,
    Martin

I don't know but I think using water from the infected tank might fuel the ich further. Plus I think your qt still needs to cycle. A filter from a healthy system would help alot. I mean if the fish die from ammonia it would go against the purpose of qt. Make shure to keep an eye out for ammonia levels and chage water to keep them down. Is your qt bare bottom, if it is, make shure you keep the bottom clean, syphon out all uneaten food. What meds did you use. I hate ich.

Oh I just happen to have a spare aquaclear sponge cooking if you need one. Let me know.

A lot of the meds that are effective on ICH will kill your biological filter so most QT tanks don't have a filter. You need circulation and a very small power head or one that has its flow rate dialed way down would do nicely. there should be no natural rock or sand in the QT. It should be a bare bottom setup with a few PVC or ABS pipes in it for the fish to hide in. Daily water changes from the display tank should be done to maintain the QT setups water quality. If there are other fish in the display tank you will not likely get rid of the ICH issue unless they are also QT-ed and treated. To kill off ICH in your display tank you must go fish less for 30 some odd days.
    Rob

What I find weird is that it's the third time the foxface caught ick(this time worse than the other) and my yellow tang never got it

The product I'm using is from Aquarium Products and it's Quick Cure(active ingredient: Formalin, Malachite Green)

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is from FW experience so it may not directly map to marine.

However ick is orptunisitc & generally can't inflect an unstressed fish. Could be health, water params, or just plain old stress.

Any chance there's something he's not jelling with in the tank?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

The foxface is always stressed(always brown even during the day and he doesn't move much, always hidding)... The yellow tang is always on him. So I'm thinking of cleaning him(foxface) and try to sell it.

As for QT should I put some light in there???

Thank you,

Originally posted by Krugar
    Correct me if I'm wrong, this is from FW experience so it may not directly map to marine.

However ick is orptunisitc & generally can't inflect an unstressed fish. Could be health, water params, or just plain old stress.

Any chance there's something he's not jelling with in the tank?

Cheers!
    Not true. ICH is a parasite of opportunity and can appear on any fish at any time by happenstance regardless of the overall health of the fish in question. Healthy fish do however stand a much better chance of surviving an outbreak then do those that are stressed or already ill.
    Rob

Is marine ick the same parasite as FW ick, are the defensive mechanisms different between SW & FW, or both?

Just curious

Cheers!

My mistake on the FW. I was only partially correct.

FW fish exposed to non-leathal amounts of Ichthyophthirius multifiliis develop an immune response cromprise of:
    a cutaneous (mucosal) antibody response to a defined class of parasite membrane proteins known as immobilization antigens, or i-antigens (Clark et al., 1995; Dickerson and Clark, 1998).
    This weakens in a stressed or ill freshwater fish, making them significantly less resistant.

But it's an aquired response.

Marine Ick is Cryptocaryon irritans, which has something like 7,200 species. Appariently marine fish can develop immunity to it after several exposures, but they definately don't have it as "easy" as FW fish do.

Something else to consider, the articles I just scanned recommend a hypo-sailinty treatment:

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast