Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hermit trying to steal a shell(pics)

i just saw one of my blue leg try to steal another blue leg's shell
    the one on top was really tearing into the other one for good 5 mins

he finally gave up

i also noticed a few what looks like a dead hermits, at least one for sure since i saw the shell to match it.

here's another one of my scarlet hermit next to it's skin after a molt.
    Vu

I love hermits, they always attract my attention when I look at my tank. Do you have some spare shels for them to upgrade. After having my hermits for a while, I got a bag of mixed shels from Ivan. After a couple of hours, most of the shels already had new occupants. I even saw one actualy change shells. They pick up the shell and examine it for a while. Then poof the switch is complete, they don't spend too much time out of a shell I guess, because the switch was preaty quick.

hermit crabs molt. you are probably seeing their molts. I used to think that they were dying too.

I had a few hermit change shell in my tank in front of me cool thing to see

I saw one of my hermits in a huge turbo snail shell! He must have killed my snail for his new home! I find them to be nasty little creatures..

clownchick22 wrote:

"I saw one of my hermits in a huge turbo snail shell! He must have killed my snail for his new home! I find them to be nasty little creatures."

Lets all keep in mind here folks, that these are all wild animals that we keep, and therefore will peruse their instincts.

Hermit crabs have no protection for their lower bodies, and as such assume vacated (or otherwise) shells from other creartures. Like all crabs they contstantly outgrow what exo-skeletons they have, molt, and eventually require larger shells to live in. Given the choice of being too big for the current shell, living "unprotected", or killing for a larger shell, they will always choose the latter.

The species of hermits that we keep in our aquariums, are excellent omnivors....meaning they eat algae (especially the nuissance types) as well as scavange uneaten food that gets fed to the fish......but.....you have to respect their needs. Keep them supplied with various sized, empty, appropriate shells for them to grow into, and they won't cause problems to other tankmates.

Until they get a taste for human flesh.

Then it's like night of the living dead in your tank and no one is safe.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I hate when that happens. You have to get a hunting party together to catch the damn thing before it kills again & let me tell you it ain't pretty trying to track a killer hermit crab.

You need one skilled tracker. I know this guy that knows a guy that can put his ear to the tank & tell you which way the hermit crab went. Well that was until we learned that hermits are sometimes pack hunters.

Wow that wasn't pretty. Stripped the flesh right off him & then beat the rest of the hunting party with a leg bone. My buddy barely got out alive & he still has scars from it.

Sometimes, he still wakes up screaming in the middle of the night. Like when there's a clickly, scratch sound near the bed...
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

hee hee hee

thread officially hijacked.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I had a scarlet hermit that not only fought and stolel every other scarlets shell but he also killed off 90% of my snails for that same reason.

There were plenty of empty shells of different shapes/sizes and he tried out several but he was just never happy. I ended up having to give him to a friend because I had to purchase more snails

I personally would never get any more hermits, snails are far to expensive a meal :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast