View Poll Results: How is your Flame Angel with corals?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avoid keeping it with corals

1 12.50%
  • Never had any problems

4 50.00%
  • Minimal nipping at polyps and clam mantles

3 37.50%

Flame Angels...Real World Issues?

I'm looking at adding a Flame Angel to my 90G and was wondering how people have been finding theirs in the real world compared to the book world. I realize that not every fish acts the same, thats why I'm tring to get a general concensus.

I have had two pygmys in the past and they were a real pain. I will be avoiding the eiblis and the yellow (not lemonpeel) pygmys from now on.

It will be in a tank with clams, LPS (brains, hammers etc) SPS (acros, montis) and shrooms.

From what I understand, it's a risk. Some do, some don't, some that didn't start, and some that did stop.

I haven't rooted out the why yet, but I'm wondering if it might be tank raised / bred vs. wild caught. I haven't had any time to investigate that theory though & I don't know if flame angles are primarily TR, TB, or WC.

But heck, I ain't gots one so feel free to ignore everything I've typed here

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Mine has been a model citizen for about 8 months now and counting. Mainly LPS & softies though. I wouldn't hesitate if it were me, they are beautiful fish!

R

Hey steve

I bought a Flame Angel two weeks ago and the fish was doing pretty well. A week after, I had a deal to complete my LR and add up the new rock with it. The poor guy became shy as he was hidding under it for a few days. Has I woke up about ten days I had it my flame angel was floating at the top.

The thing i've learn from that experience was that you should wait from adding something else after you put him there.

I will buy a another one later.
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

It will be tough to get a general concensus. Some are perfect and some are major nippers of coral and clam mantles. It also depends on how much food they get and the size of tank. If they can graze on the rock in a tank that is large enough and densely populated enough to handle it, then there is a good chance that it won't do much damage..
    If you want one that probably wont do be a major problem, put it in at least a 100 gallon tank and feed it well. But, it might still pics at things.
    If you want real peace of mind, don't add one. If you do add one, its always a bit of a gamble.
    I'm sure there are people who are currently keeping them in 20 gallon tanks with sparse feeding and they 'never touch a thing'. I've kept them in 200 gallon tanks and watched them pic at things but never really do major damage.
    I think that if you really want one, you have to be prepared to live with the possible repercussions, and just accept it...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I had to give my eiblis away, nice fish but i prefer my coral.
    We need more Indians!

I had a flame angel in my 65 gal. tank a few years ago. Didn't touch anything for about 4 months then started nipping my clams, plate corals and brain corals. I fished him out and returned him to the LFS. I recently added one to my 180 fish only that has some zoo's, soft leathers etc. and he is doing well in there. Eating well and doesn't mind the Singapore or Emperor that are with him.
    I think they will always be a risk, and if you are willing to try and maybe find the 1 in 4 that don't pick
    at your corals it will make a good addition to a reef system.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Could the food make a difference

1- if feed rich formula and various source of food does not need to nipp

2- if feed poor food or same food all the time will want to nipp

??????????

Personality comes into it too.

Some kids like to eat thier veggies, some don't

I've heard though that you may have better luck if you get them very young and get them eating prepaired foods they may "forget" that coral can also be eaten.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

thats a good point what they dont know cant hurt!