Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Setting up Live Rock

I am setting up my new aquarium and I am having problems making the rock stay still. My setup has 8 small pieces, 2 medium pieces and one large piece.
    I am tryping to make two towers where each tower consists of 4 small pieces and one medium piece on top with alot of room for water circulation in between.
    My large piece is on top of the two medium peice connecting the two towers with lots of room for circulation.

My only problem is when I end up placing the last large piece, one or two of the towers collapes.

Any ideas on how to set up the rocks? not neccessarly the way I am trying to set them up.

Can people share some pictures on thier setup.

Thanks

Anchor in the back

I have put eggcrate in the back of my tank. so that the rock have some kind of Anchor in the back

see pic from the eggcrate

How do you do that?
    Also, I have three power heads, how should I direct them? I have them right now where two are on the sides pumping to break the surface and one is directed on the large peice of rock. They are connected to the wave maker.

Well I have setup my tank with this my tank is a 55G I have cut the eggcrate 10" hight and put it on the rear glass that way if the rock falls the egg crate will protect the glass and in the same way it gives anchor to the rocks the small corner grabs in the eggcrate "yes the eggcrate is white for now but it will be covered in a couple of month

You can try using those epoxy-resin to stick the rocks together. And also I've heard/seen ppl using those plastic zip-ties (for tieing up electric cords etc) to tie the rocks together... if your rocks has some holes.
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Some people also drill the rocks and use plastic rods to lock them together.

If you use tie straps, make sure they don't have a metal lock tab (some do -- most don't).
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Or do what I did... Spend 7 hours cursing and swearing, getting water all over the floor to finally find a configuration that is stable and looks half decent... I found it better to somewhat let your rocks decide the final layout. Some are just shaped so strangely it might not be practical to place them how you "want" them.
    Also don't be afraid to break a chunk off a rock to make it more stable.
    It's quite a reward to see after hours and hours of frustration

Good luck!

Cheers!
    Chad

I think you have lots of good pointer there...........

Thanks everyone for all your input. I have rearanged everything now without using anything and it worked. I hope that is fine. It looks great and the gaps between the rocks make a nice place for water circulation and for fish to swim through.
    How long do you let the tank cirulate with the rock? When can I add anything? I have a clown there now, but was hoping on andding more things soon. It has been one week for the rock in there.

You should probably wait a few weeks before adding any other fish.

What test kits do you have? You should be testing Ammonia / Nitrite and Nitrate. If you have ANY Ammonia or Nitrite, the tank isn't mature enough yet.

Do you have a cleaner crew in there?
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast