Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scams, scams scams....

Well this is the 2nd time this has happened to me, i ordered something off RC equipment forums and got ripped off, but this time it was for allmost 300$ and paypal said they can't do anything about the money, i just wante everyone to be aware that this stuff does happen alot and 2 of us happened to be canadians

RC link
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

how did you put the money in your PAYPAL account? if by visa you can reverse it. also post on RC right away in the feedback forums with his name. p.s... NEVER buy used from across the boarder, buy from AC or at least someone on this site

I paid through paypal drawing from my visa, i've been buying off of RC for years, and this is the 2nd time i've had a problem in the last couple of months its too bad because there are some good deals to be found
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

don't visa have insurance for stuff like that?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

okay, I just read that whole mess on RC, from what I can tell, she did not recieve the monies yet as PAYPAL frooze the accounts for 10 days until things are resolved. with PAYPAL especially in the US you do have to wait on a refund. 10 days I believe. while I don't think it was an outright scam, she sure didn't know how to use the site [RC] and PAYPAL. you'll probaly get your money but it could be a few weeks. I've had similar issues but not this messy. hang tuff, you should be okay.
    word of advice, NEVER buy from someone with 0 posts on RC or very little feedback. never buy across the border as you have no real legal ground for recourse. forget buying used or DIY products from rookies as its normally junk and a headache. IMO

more posts on a different thread today and there seems to be more fishy business! call your credit company today! and get them to deal with paypal. tell them it was a fraud.

Just a heads up regarding business on RC. Never *EVER* do business with someone who has no prior post record. I read through the threads in question and both leesuh and fpsforce have 0 post counts. That puts up huge red flags for me.

With 100,000 members, it's just too hard to keep track of everyone out there who wants to scam.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

For me an RC thread that has 0 post count isn't a big warning, when the paypal had a ton of feedback, it meant that they didn't just set up the account as a scam, so that outweighed it for me, now he is saying that someone hacked his account
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

Hacked his account? What a load of crap.

We had a problem last week, my husband purchased *chinchilla cage diy plans* online from a company in CA. The plans were $5.00 US and they were supposed to e-mail him as soon as payment was received.

Usually you receive an acknowledgement from both parties (Paypal and vendor that the payment was rec.) but we did not receive an acknowledgement or the plans from the vendor. My husband e-mailed them asking for confirmation &/or plans and they were quite snooty and said they would when they received payment.

After a few days we checked and it had come off the credit card and Paypal had acknowledged they had the payment. My husband e-mailed them again telling them that the amount had been debited to his account etc and they got back to us in a very abusive e-mail saying that they had not received.

If it wasn't for the fact that we really wanted the plans to start making the cage the $5.00 would have been written off as a lesson learned, sometimes the hassles aren't worth that little money.

She provided an e-mail from Paypal that said because SHE was using a personal account *RATHER* than a BUSINESS account that they were holding all payments till she upgraded her account. She wrote back that she had no plans on upgrading her account! that she would wait it out.

Because she refused to us the proper account (yeah because it was more expensive) ALL her customers would not receive goods till she did something and she was not going to upgrade.

We gave her another couple of days then e-mailed her again informing her that if the plans were not e-mailed within 24hrs that the fraud division of Visa would be involved along with a complaint/fraud with Paypal.

We did get the *plans* with a nasty e-mail that we were expecting way too much > her giving us the goods without payment! She is a recommended dealer btw with good feedback.

I feel for you and I hope you get your money or goods.

IF he isn't taking the fraud (Visa) complaint seriously and acting on them I doubt he is planning on repairing this situation. Please let us know how this turns out and all the best.

Hacking an account isn't what TV shows make you believe it is.

Sure you have some idoits that use really dumb passwords (i.e. If I used Krugar for my password, that would be dumb. So would writing it on a sticky note attached to my monitor.) Beyond that hacking an account is very difficult.

It involves exploiting either his computer (spyware, unpatched secutiry) watching him type in the password or compromising Paypal itself.

In all instances Paypal can tell you which IP was used for a given transaction and at what time. With this information the ISP that owns that IP can tell you who was using the account (usually takes a court order mind you).

Paypal will most definately be interested in a legitmately hacked account and they should be able to provide you with some acknowldegement, even if it's just "this is currently under investigation and we cannot comment on it further."

I suspect you'd instead get a "huh?" repsonse from Paypal.

If he's currently claiming he was hacked, that certainly raises my BS meter to 10.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast