Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Types of fish

Types of fish

I have justed tested my water for ammonia, nitrate, PH and everything seems great. 0 for all and 8.2 for PH.

So, now I am ready to have some fish. I am trying to find out what kind of fish is nice to have with corals. I don't have any corals yet, but will add some later. I only have a lonely clown fish.

I also need to get the cleaner crew and some shrimp, crab etc.

I have a 56 Gallon. What is recommended? Ideas are welcome.

Get your cleanup crew before you get any other fish. They'll help keep you system nice and stable. Leave them in there for a few weeks before adding other fish. For fish I really like blue chromis, firefish and gobies. They all stay relatively small. For a 56 gallon tank though you'd probly be able to get away for some larger fish ... just as long as you didn't keep too many. Good luck. You mentions taht you have no amonia and nitrite but did you notice a nitrite spike already? If not you might not be fully cycled yet.

StephG

u probably need a cleaner crew before u add anymore fish. maybe a few cleaner shrimps, hermits, snails and a crab if u want but becareful since they are not fully reef safe. after cleaner crew u should probably add a mate for my clown and then wait a week or so to add another fish. do this while testing your water regularly. before adding any fish or coral do some research to see what it needs before u put it in your tank. www.liveaquaria.com is a good start
    Vu

make sure your tank is producing nitrate before u add any more fish, that;s how u know that your cycle is finish. then do a waterchange and make sure ammonia and nitrite is still 0
    Vu

Certainly mix up a batch of salt water, you'll want to be able to replace the water lost while acclimating your clean up crew.

I'd mix a batch of SW, wait at least a day to age it, then add your snails & crabs to the tank. You should have plenty of algea in the tank for them to take care of.

Wait a week or two as StephG suggested & then test again. If the numbers are good, time to go looking for fish.

In the mean time you can get your QT tank ready for the fish, and read up on what you might want to put into the display

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Now I have alge growing on my sand in some corners of the tank. What should I do? I only have 2 snails and 2 hermits, 1 clown in a 56Gallon tank with 45 lb of live rock.

The alge color is changing the sand to darker yellow.

Thats perfectly normal.
    Every new tank will have to go through that process.
    First it its green, then yellow/brown/red etc.
    Newbie in training

What helps in removing this alge? Star fish?

I wouldn't put a star in there yet. You very likely don't have mature enough rock / sand to keep it from starving.

For clean up crew you're going to need about 20-30 snails & crabs depending on what you get.

I'd pick up a mexican turbo, and then a variety of astrea, cerith, trochus, and some nassarius.

The last snail won't help much with the algea, but it will dig the sand bed & eat any left over food so it's good to have a few.

I go crab light based on personal preference, but you should consdier an emerald and perhaps more hermits if you like them.

Once you have all that if you find algea is still and issue & your water quality is good there's lots of fish that make their living eating algea.

The only challenge is once you run out, you'll need to add algea to the tank to feed them lol.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast