frogspawn heads?

I have a head of frogspawn which has released itself from the stock it was on. It seems to be doing fine floating around on the bottom of the tank but I am just concerned about whether or not this is normal. Does anyone have any oppinions or info about this? Will it make a new stock or will it just eventually die. As I said though, the head is fully inflated and looks great.

Post a pic, I have never heard of that before. I have nothing to back this up with, however, I would try to keep it stationary so that the soft tissue does not get damaged. I have the green branching variety myself and have never had any problems with it. Started with two heads about 6 months ago and now it is up to four.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

I don't have a pic right now. but I will get one. Like I said though the head is doing just fine. The head inflates and floats in the tank for a while then ends up sitting on a rock or the sand bed. What i was wondering really is if it will make another stock out of the sand?

I've seen it and it was not a good thing... I was able to get it to attach to a dead coralite but it was very difficult. If the head is floating around the tank it will sooner or later tangle with (and loose) a powerhead, overflow etc. See if you can catch it and get it rooted somewhere safe.

I have them all over my tank, they drop off, in my 180 it's to hard to catch them with all the water flow. But I haven't had them pop up anywhere as a new colony. If you cught them and put them in a container where they wouldn't get blown away they would grow, but they are pretty tiny, to even catch

ok well thanks for the info! I will get it tomorrow and try to reattach it to its stock. I don't know if I can glue it though as it has nothing hard at the bottom of it. Maybe I will try some fishing line and tie it loosely to its stock. Guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed! Thanks again.

I think that this is an indication of water quality issues- namely low strontium or magnesium levels. I don't think they survive once they come off.
    this is not a good thing and not normal. I'd say some major water changes would be a good idea to replenish the minerals and refresh the water.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high