Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIY RO reservoir and saltwater mixing tank

Well after a lot of research into the idea of creating a self contained RO and salt mixing reservoir, I finally started "construction" today, it took me about 4 hrs but its all done now, and Iím very VERY pleased with the results, this will make my life a lot easier, and really simplify water changes.

I used a Kent float valve and solenoid kit to control the RO unit, and various plumbing supplies all shown in the picture before I started.

I'll give my advice (from what Iíve learned today) to anyone that thinks they would like to embark on this project.

If you aren't going to use true unions in your plumbing ( which I didn't to save money, they are pricey ) then make sure your measurements and cuts are extremely accurate, otherwise you will run into problems, and have stress on your connections, its not a big deal, just something to keep in mind.

Have the appropriate hole cutting drill bit on hand before you start the project, it took me forever to track mine down.

Don't let any of the PVC glue fall into the gate valves... they simply wont' work anymore if this happens, as you will have glued them shut

Secure the barrels to the ground and ensure that you have the appropriate ground clearance necessary for the bulkheads and 90 degree elbows on the bottom of the barrels, I used 2x4's screwed and glued together to achieve the ground clearance I required, but you could use anything that would keep the barrels steady.

When gluing the 90 degree elbows in, connecting the bulkhead output, to the pump input, prime and glue all the pieces before you fit them together, so that any rotation that is required by the joint will happen before the glue is dry.

The pics will follow Iím just uploading them now.
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

Here is all the supplies i used for the project, it was expensive but well worth it, it will last forever so a one time outlay is no big deal, considering all the time it will save

Here is the pump i used for the project, i initially thought i would need something much stronger, but the MAG 2 is mroe then strong enough, it mixes the water easily, and moves water between the tanks, and to the buckets easily.

Here is the whole saw i used, it was 1 and 1/2 Inches, which fit the 1/2 bulk head perfectly.

And finally the finished product, just have some cleaning up to do now

Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Very nice Fishmonger... That looks very much like a water change system inspired by Weatherson on Reefcentral....
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Oh yah its allmost identical, that guy knows his stuff, i swear his full time job must be the tank....
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

nice work man, i'm glad you didn't have my trouble bought two of those trash cans from CT both leaked. just my luck.
    We need more Indians!

Looking good !!! Neat and tidy. I wish I had the room for something like that.
    Rob

not to rain on your parade, but those type of cans have been noted to split without warning. the grey garbage cans [BRUTE] are the ones to use it looks good though but just wanted to let you know. I would probaly change them out sooner than later.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Johnny,
    Really?
    I've been using those same cans for years now. Never a problem....

You know, I just jinxed myself....
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Splitting without notice would be a BIG BUMMER. If the risk is real and your not going to change them out perhaps they can be strengthened to hold their shape so the seams don't get stressed by wrapping them every 6 inches or so with 2 inch wide fiberglass re-enforced packing tape.
    Rob

Thanks guys,
    How have they been known to split, it seems to me if that was a common occurence they would have changed the way they manufacture them, a garbage can that splits like that wouldn't be worth much i've been using this type for awhile now with no problem mind you those are brand new, but the old ones i had were fine
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast