Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kole tang food help

I have a kole tang in a 75gal.

The problem is this fish has been very efficient at eating all the turf algea in the tank and now has practicaly no more to feed on. There are several types of macro algeas in the tank but he wont touch them, as I now know their mouths arent made for that. I tried a noriclip but hes not interested in that either. I tried clipping nori into little bite size squares and dipping them in garlic but hes not interested.

Ive been supplementing his diet with garlic dipped mysis(fish has ich) and he totaly loves those. However his excrements arent looking as good as they did when he was getting his dose of algea.

I need to feed this tang his greens. What should I try to feed his as to balance out his diet?

Would it be a good idea to take out the macro algeas as to promote turf algea growth?

Thank you.

Have you tried sea veggies? Ivan sells purple, red & green here.

If he's only eating mysis you might want to soak them with selcon to up the vitamins until he picks up on another food. Selcon's all around goodness, you might just want to add it.

Cyclops-eese either freeze dried or flakes might help, but you'll probably need to soak them, I suspect he's not used to looking up for food.

Ivan sold me a frozen block of something with no lable for my yellow tang that he's quite fond of. I forget what the heck it is (I'd have to check my reciept) I picked it up because he was already eating it. Hopefully IJO can chime in on that one lol.

If you need more algea you might try extending your photo period btw. It might help, or do nothing.

Taking out some of the macro will leave more nitrate & nutrients in the water, which could be taken up by other algeas.

I've only done research into yellow & hippo tangs though, so if there's something unique about a kole tang I'd have no clue, didn't look.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Thanks Krugar, all those options sound good. I didnt know that cyclops eese came in flakes as well, that sounds good. I guess i could pm IJO to ask him about the frozen stuff you mention, though if you have a chance please check your bill, id be intrigued to know what stuff that is.

My photo period is already too long (around 15 hours) I dont think that will help.

I didnt feed him alot of mysis today and hes grazing about way more than yesterday. it seems there is always a litle something to eat on LR. His excrements look more solid too. I think this guy is on the right track. I do need to broaden his diet. Thanks again for all the tips.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

You should also try the spirulina brine shrimp. Hikari and another company makes it. It is basically brine shrimp that have been fed spirulina, so the tang will get both the protein and the veggies in one great tasting package!!
    Cyclop eze is also a great idea.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks Matt. Spirulina and shrimp sound realy healthy!

Would you go for the flaked cyclops eze or the other(frozen I think)?

reefsurfer: I misplaced the receipt & I ddin't see it on the website so I PM'd IJO..

Anyway it's Marine Plankton. You'd think I'd remeber something as simple as that.

I've got a huge brick of it & I just shave off a couple thin strips, soak it in tank water with cyclop-eese flakes and the yellow tang pigs out. I aslo offer nori daily. I've only seen him nibble on it, but the nori disappears along with some of the Chaetomorpha in the tank.

The later freaked me out, tangs aren't suposed to be found of it & well they poop long streaks when they eat it. I thought I had to treat him for internal parasites until I noticed him sucking up the chaeto.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Thanks Krugar.

Well things have realy turned around for Mr Koles diet. As of earlier today hes eating little bite size nori squares dipped in garlic. Hes also pecking at some of the macro.

I also picked up some spirulina flakes for him tonight and he tried them out right off the bat, wait till I bathe those in garlic His poop isquite consistent and hes quite round.

Now I just have to get the ich off this guy

Pat, both of the cyclop eze foods are great.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

is your tank a FO if not you could always try a cleaner shrimp or a neon goby to rid the ich

Thanks fishgeek, My tank is at the beggining stages of being an sps infestation, Im all about getting a cleaner shrimp and a neon goby. I hadnt heard of the neon goby being good for this purpose. Can you tell me if there is a specific type of cleaner shrimp I should look into?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast