ijo

Re: fish only tank , help *

A good rule to go by is 1 inch of fish per 10 gallons and you shouldn't need a skimmer or additives.  I wouldn't skimp on the liverock though, it makes a great filter.  This is how I ran my fish only setup.  You have a lot less to worry about. hope this helps

IJO

Re: fish only tank , help  

Mark, you should also consider a DSB ( deep sand bed). It is an expensive to set up option but it's effects are hard to passup. Eventually if you do get the reef bug you have a great base to build on. You need lighting to support denitrifying bacteria.
    True Perc

Don't skimp on the live rock. It not only provides a good source of biological filtering, it also acts as physical refuge for fish to hide. This reduces stress level a great deal.

You can start off without a skimmer. But believe me, you'll eventually want one as the stuff that grows on the live rock is so interesting that you'll want better water quality to keep them alive. A skimmer helps on that regard. If you see how awful the stuff a skimmer pulls out each day you won't want to live without one.

As to the little critters found on good quality live rock, I've found a bunch of sponges, some soft polyps, a whole bunch of worms, and even a small brittle star.

What kind of fish do you want to keep?
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Even on a fish only sytem, I would consider a skimmer. *you can get away with a cheap one but it's worth the investment. *You WILL get the reef bug one day. *I did.
    Use lots of Live Rock, Good sand bed 4" +, and do the water changes. Good Luck
    For supplements, just add a little calcium, iodine,and strontium only to get the nice purple,green, and pink corraline algaes growing.  Not necessary but just my thought.  
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!