Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Fresh Water dip?

I have always aclimitated my fish with a slow drip from the tank. Prior to putting them in the tank i dip them in fresh water at the same tank temp for about 6 minutes. I have never had a case of ick after i started this. I still however quarentine them for 3 weeks.

I will be receiving 200 Snails from Ivan tommorrow. I know i have to aclimitate the snails. I do not plan on quarentining them.
    My Question is this should i give them a fresh water dip? I mean there is a danger still that they can carry ick in the water that they carry in their shells.
    What is everyone doing with Snails?

Thanks

Lifted from http://www.wetwebmedia.com/quarfaqs3.htm

If I quarantine snails or a shrimp to make sure the water in their shells contain no free swimming stages of Ick, I guess I do no freshwater dips or definitely no additives to the quarantine tank. Is this correct?
    <<No, you don't want to freshwater dip snails or shrimp as this will most certainly kill them. Likewise, you really have nothing to worry about as these will not introduce fish-borne parasites into your main system.>>
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

If you're indeed worried that the water contains free swimming ICH parasites, you would need to QT the snails for the theoretical reamainder life cycle of the ICH, I suppose, since copper and hypo will most likely kill them.

Mixing your snails with ginger and garlic, although not a scientific cure, will make them taste delicious if lightly stewed. :biggrinbo :biggrinbo :biggrinbo
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

There is small chance that there could be tomonts on the shells of the snails, but I don't think it's terribly likely. The tomonts (eggs) can and do encyst on any surface in an infected tank. Rock, power head, sand, glass, and invertabrate shells.

However, I don't think I've ever seen a fish in with Ivan's snails so even if he recieved an infected batch himself, the eggs would hatch and die without a host.

Equipment you can dry-out for 24 hours & your good to go. Snails don't really do well with this treatment...

You could QT them (3 weeks for a full lifecycle) or accept what IMHO is a fairly minor risk. If you do decide to QT them, I have no idea what you'd feed them, will they eat nori?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I think OSD had a problem with this a while back. Something about buying some snails from Big Als (And no i'm not comparing AC to Big Als). He interduced them into his tank without QT them and it killed a load of fish he had. I'm pretty sure it was him. Probably PM him to find out.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I think i am going to do a FW dip to 2 of my pufffers since they are having some parasite. The way i was thinking of doing it is to take the fish out with his water and acclimate him with freshwater from the RO/DI for around 5 minutes.

Its not a direct dip to FW and i think its less stressful for the fish. Wonder if the parasite will survive or die doing it this way...

Also, since snails are more fragile, i think this way should work better than a dip in FW..
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

You might want to search RC on that first, there's something nagging me about treating puffers & I don't remeber exactly what it is. They're not on my "possible tankmakes" list so most of what I've read on them has been happenstance.

Cheers!

I did not get my snails from Big Al's. In fact i never gave up the source because this is not something that can be proven beyond a Shadow of a doubt.
    Anyways about your freshwater dip for your snails ... I would not do it. Snails are rather sensitive and can be killed by simply not acclimating long enough. A sudden change in water parameters like a fresh water dip can do more damage then good. I would QT them for a few weeks. ICH ... if it is your biggest concern will not live long without fish to feed on. If there are any cysts on them they will open soon and the newly released parasites will not find a host and die. bacterial infection are IMO a bigger risk when adding anything from any source. Treat them wit ha safe med as if they were carriers of a bacterial infection while in your QT and you should be OK.
    Rob

Rob, A QT tank isn't going to have much algea to feed snails, what would you suggest to feed them?

Cheers!

I was wondering the same thing... espacially with 200 of them!

I wonder how long they can go without eating?

Would they eat regular sushi sheet like tangs?

-yvest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast