Thread: Bio-Wheel

Bio-Wheel

What is your opinion on the bio-wheel used in most hang-on filters? i think of it as added surface area where bacteria can operate in the presence of the added oxygen and can only add to the effects of our live rocks. others however complain that it raises nitrate levels, but all nitrate only comes from broken down nitrites. so any nitrate being produced by the bio-wheel would otherwise remain as the more toxic nitrite, or be broken down to nitrate anyway by the live rock. - so why the complaints against the bio-wheel?

On a large reef you are correct. however, most people that seem to use these biowheels are putting them on 20-30 gallon reefs. In a large system, with large amounts of LR and small bioloads, your theory is correct. I just can't figure why I would want one as it does nothing for the reef system. Just remove it a let the water flow freely. ( I put that last 2 lines in hoping to spark a good thread.)

Now KARMA ME!!!!! hahahah
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

why should it be different in a large vs small reef?
    and why should one remove it to let the water flow freely? would you tell someone to remove some live rock so that they dont have too much bacterial activity?
    (in this case, it seems that us two reefers cant even agree on the the third reef keeper is doing wrong... - yet)
    Albert
    My Photos