The Quarantine Tank

Most of us will agree that quarantine is recommended for preventing breakouts in the display tank. So I have a few questions on the QT to help me decide whether or not to set one up along with my display. Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

1. What is the MINIMUM tank size for, say a 4" tang (which would be the largest new fish) for the recommended 6-week quarantine?

2. What should the equipment consist of, taking into consideration the tank's purpose of prevention and treatment?

3. Would you quarantine inverts in the same tank, or might traces of medication kill them?

4. If NOT quarantining inverts in the same tank, what is the minimum recommended size for inverts?

5. Is lighting for the 6-week period a consideration?

Any other thoughts? Thanks!
    Jenn

What kind of tank you have right now?

Do you have a sump or refugium?
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

I'll be getting a 225-gallon with a fuge, yes. But I mean a separate tank to medicate in and prevent the introduction of disease to my display tank, not just a place to let fish "adjust". I do have room for a separate QT so I was thinking something along the lines of a 65-gallon version of my display tank, and then a 25-gallon bare hospital tank.

Don't know how practical or necessary the above is, but that's the direction my thought process was going presently.
    Jenn

For a 4" Tang I'd say you'd be able to get away with a 50 Gallon tank as a QT. Since you will be treating for ick most likely you won't be able to have any rock/sand/inverts in the tank as they will not survive the copper introduced by the medicine. The denitrifying bacteria will not survive either so regular and frequent water changes will have to be done in order to keep amonia/nitrite as close to 0 as possible. Fish can stand a small amount of nitrate though. For equipment you'll need a couple of pieces of PVC tubing for hiding spots, a heater and someway of making some current in the tank. I wouldn't quarantine the inverts in the same tank as even small amounts of copper can kill them. For inverts you will not need a large QT but if it's a coral you will need to be able to provide it with enough light if it's mostly photosythetic(spelling). When you QT fish lighting is not that important. One regular NO fluorescent should be more than enough. Even with just ambiant light from the room that should be enough.

Hope this helps

Steph

P.S: Can't wait to see your tank

Thanks steph! Lots of pics will be posted of the construction and tank as it matures, I assure you! :-)

Regarding quarantine... How long should inverts be quarantined? Fish I believe are 6 to 8 weeks, but are inverts that long as well? Also, are there any medications that might be a better/safer alternative to copper for treating fish and inverts, without losing effectiveness?

Thanks!
    Jenn

There are some medications such as flatworm exit and the stuff to get rid of red bugs that are reef safe but I think that alot of the meds used to treat fish contain copper which is no good for inverts.

For an invert QT tank ther are a few things that people do.

1) Keep a small 10-20 Gallon tank running all the time with sand/rock so it has the denitrifying bacteria present in the tank to keep the amonia/nitrite/nitrate down. You can use the water from your water changes on the main tank for the water for your water changes on the QT tank. This tank acctually looks good and can be quite interesting (I have a nano and I love it)

2) Set up the tank everytime new inverts are purchased. To have some denitritying bacteria you will have to seed a sponge by putting it in your main tank and leaving it there for a few days so that it gets colonized with bacteria. You can then put the sponge in a power filter on the QT tank and that will help keep your levels of amonia/nitrite/nitrate down. This tank will look pretty basic/plain and would likely be kept somewhere out of site

As for how long you need to QT your inverts ... I'd suggest at least 3-4 weeks. This will give you a chance to properly observe them and give any fish parasites that might have hitch hiked time to die off as they don't have a host.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help with the meds. Hopefully someone else can help you (and me for that matter) with that question.

Steph

Just to clarify my last post ... it's option 1 or 2 not both