Galaxia placement in tank

Hello all,
    I have fairly large piece of galaxia.
    Where is the best place to put this coral? In the sandbed, on rock, top of the tank, bottom of the tank etc...

I've had it sitting in the sandbed for about 1 month to give it plenty of room so it doesn't sting my other corals. It's been doing good. I'm now trying to find a permanent place for it and trying to decide if I should keep it in the sand or place it on rock and closer to the light or not?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
    Chad

If it's happy where it is, I would leave it. My Galaxea likes medium light and medium flow FWIW.
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

I've got mine near the top of the tank under 400's. Its sweepers are supposed to be long but it never seems to send them out.

Thanks for the replys...

I've seen pics (after searching various sites on the net) of Galaxia and it seems people tend to put them everywhere.. Mine's on the bottom of a 36x18x24 tank with 2X 175W MH . I've seen it send out sweepers about 3-5" in length. I'm just worried that long term it's won't do so well on the sandbed as it would on a rock higher up..

Well eventually it will spread to the rock work (although IME they grow slowly) keeping it in the sand will keep it from spreading...

They do seem to adapt well to various lighting intensities and flows... right now mine is sitting in the middle of the convergence of two outlets outputting 2700 GPS and it seems to love it.

Hmmm.. You make a good point about it spreading.. It's big enough already (actually I might even frag-off a couple of pieces).

I guess was just concerned that not giving it opportunity to spread, would be bad for it's health..

Thanks Again!

If you want to control the spread, make a little rock island in your snad bed and put the galaxea on that

That way it has room to grow but won't grow onto your reef walls, makes fragging easier too!

Cool

they sting like crazy so give it space! they get big pretty fast as well.

i am the same as meltdown. I have mine on top under 400W and don't notice the sweepers as I did when it was about 1/2 way down in the tank. It still has plenty of room and it is growing.
    I am actually contemplating getting rid of it altogether as it takes up a lot of room with the buffer you have to leave. Hmmm

Originally posted by mickyfin
    If you want to control the spread, make a little rock island in your snad bed and put the galaxea on that

That way it has room to grow but won't grow onto your reef walls, makes fragging easier too!
    That's a good idea.. I think I'll do that.

Thanks for all the replies people.

Cheers,
    Chad