Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red bug! local traders...

Just posting to make evryone aware of the seriousness of trading acro's and knowing what you might be getting along with your acro! Ive been a victim of this with red bug, up till now i never thought it would happen to me just read about others problem with it...... its unfortunate that when trading with other reefers they often don't know that there corals are infected and trade anyways. BEWARE OF LOCAL SPS TRADERS!!!!! thats all i have to say no names!!!

Cool

red bugs are prevalent in the hobby now and most sps keepers/traders/buyers use ''INTERCEPTOR'' [dog meds] in either a QT tank or right in the bag before you put it in the tank. you should let the person know that you suspect he has them so he can take measures. also, you could have had them for a LONG time without knowing so whos to say were they came from. I had them probaly for a year before I recognized the problem. it wasn't until my corals started looking crappy and then a few reefers had the bugs and I checked.

Can you somehow check the coral before putting it in to see if it has red bugs? or are they so small that you can't see them?

Peehair, I really think that you should post who this person is or have him post it. Reason being that everyone should be aware before we ALL get them from this person and so that we are not all paranoid about trading with the members here.
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

Peerhair, please post a pic if you can- based on your pm, it doesn't seem like red bugs.
    As Johnny said, they are extremely hard to spot in a healthy tank.
    But definetly, these days all sps additions should be QTed before you add them to your tank unless the person you got them from is experianced and absolutely certain that he/she doesn't have them.
    I also agree that you should tell the person you got the frags from that he/she has the bugs.
    And if that person does indeed have red bugs (because it is possible that they dont) and they knew that they had bugs and sold you frags anyways, then you should tell US who it was so that no one else will buy from them until they have treated their tank!
    HOWEVER!!!! in all fairness- YOU should be absolutely certain that you have red bugs before you do anything.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Can ANYONE post a picture of a redbug infestation for reference? Since my tank is nearly ready to load up with SPS' I'd like to have a good idea what to look for in any frag I might buy / trade.
    55 Gal. with 75lbs of liverock, 2x96w PC lighting and an appetite for much more!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Doing a search on this site for "Red Bug" reveals.....

Same coral before and after infestation.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

CLOSEUP:
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Unfortunatley, that is a pretty extreme case. Hopefully one would spot the bugs before they got that bad and outright killed the coral.
    If you have a couple of acros that don't look nearly as good as the rest of your healthy sps take a very close look at the flesh between the polyps. Red bugs look MUCH smaller than in these photos that Vince has posted- usually only the red speck is visible and it will be moving around on the surface of the corals flesh. Also, there is usually only a fraction of the amount of bugs that you see in the photo above. The red specks will be moving with purpose, not simply as though they were getting agitated or blown by water motion.
    It is very difficult to spot them on a recently disturbed or moved coral as they will run and hang on somewhere. And it is almost impossible to spot one or two on a whole coral, so even if you do know what you are looking for, if the infestation has only just begun, you may not find them.
    This is why it should just become common practice to dip or QT new sps additions before putting them in your tank.
    Reefsalt has said that dipping his new additions in Seachem's Reef Dip has kept his tank free of the bugs.
    I don't remember what type of concentration he uses, but I think it is double the recommended dosage on the bottle-and let them sit in the dip for 20 minutes or so. Hopefully he will read this and chime in.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

hey thanx Matt/Johnny for the info.......i don't think i have red bug anymore cause these bugs are not on the acro itself. Sorry for the panick everyone and thats the reason i didn't post any names because i wasn't sure if i actualy had red bug! pierre

Peehiere ,
    Over the best year or two, most people that are into SPS dip/acclimate any new corals just as a precaution. As Matt said, it's impossible to notice them on a frag or a coral that was moved ( to put in a bag or for transport for example). So if you're about to start getting some SPS, I recommend you start the habit of dipping them right in the beginning. Most people don't even know they have them till it's too late.

Is it cause you can't see them there all hidding??? And do you mean a FW dip or the intercepter dip???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast