Quarantine Layout

I've decided after much thought to design and run a QT set up alongside my display tank. I'll put it out of the way in the fish room (my parents still think it's the furnace room) and really I have no excuse NOT to QT. My only hesitation is derrived from my impatience.

I'm planning to go with 2 40-gallon breeders on a metal tube stand (one on bottom, one on top) to maximize tankage while minimizing space usage.

My question is HOW to utilize these tanks??? Options I was considering:

A. One tank set up as a mini version of my display, with rocks and NEVER medication, while the other would be a medicated treatment tank.

B. One for fish, one for corals.

C. Both either fish or coral, but just have two of them.

What's best? I want to plan for long-term QT of 6 to 8 weeks, as well as SAFE treatment of fishes and invertebrates. I'm trying to balance the fishes/inverts comfort with the ability to treat without contamination.

Thanks!
    Jenn

I have a 10G nano set up with a 70W MH DE lamp, so I can QT coral for a couple weeks in a (now) fishless environment.

The tank has 15lbs of sand, a couple pound of rock, some snails, countless pods & starfish, etc. I'm keeping it running fishless for this very reason. It's also has some gsp & the "hell polyps" 'cuz they're not going near my display

I also have a 10G tank (currently empty) that's in resver for QT / hospital. It's on the (way) small side for this tho & I'm likely going to swap it out for something bigger.

The fishless nano has a seaclone 100 skimmer on it, which is way more filtration that it needs. I plan to pop that on to the fish QT as needed as the primary filter.

Copper & most meds won't do much to a protien skimmer if it's well cleaned between uses. I'm also looking for a used power filter that I can add decient carbon and / or poly to inoder to get meds out of the QT tank when the treatment's over. (Used lol, I don't think I'll need to buy a new one for this.)

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Does carbon work to get the meds out? To the point it is safe to QT corals after treating fish in the same tank? If so, how long and how much carbon per gallon is recommended?

Thanks!
    Jenn

Yep carbon does, but get a good carbon.

Poly + Carbon is better.

And Poly + Carbon + water changes is probably the best way to get the meds out.

Cheers!

Well I guess I learned something new today. I didn't think it was safe to use a tank that has been treated with copper to QT corals/inverts without emptying the tank and starting over. Good luck with the setup Jenn ... I guess this might have you rethinking your stratgies somewhat

Steph, yeah but I'm so glad because the whole copper/coral thing was making me panic!!! But this way I can see greater possibility. Something like an observation tank for one (coral/fish/invert mix) and then treatment tank on the bottom (but either coral or fish at one time) I dunno... Best part is the whole set up with two 40's will be like $500!!!
    Jenn

I think that's the best and safest way to go. Looks like you'vre really put alot of though into this. You must be a pretty patient person ... a true reefer

eek.

Sorry I need to pay more attention to your questions.

Carbon / poly / water changes will remove the meds & the copper, but please empty it & clean your tank before using it again for anything. Meds may remove the problem from the fish, but they could still be hanging out in the tank. On top of that the filters won't get 100% of the treatment out.

Some people will tell you that the seals will absorb medications inlcuding copper, but it's very hotly contested & I'm not a believer.

Your QT period will usually be longer than your medication period & you'll need to remove the meds before QT is finished. That's where you need the copper / poly / etc.

Sorry, I got distracted while typing up the response & did it in two parts...

Anyway you can use 1 QT tank for everything, just make sure it's well cleaned between uses.

I'm using 2 tanks, 1 for fish & one for everything else. But this is more because my nano tank is establsihed & won't have meds in it ever. I'm also willing to flush the entire contents if need be.

Cheers!

Nah, i just spent all my money on the tank i have no choice but to be "patient" hahah J/K
    Jenn

hahahah ... patient in the sense that "I have to wait for another pay check to come in" :