Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

i screwed up bad

the other day i added a hob refugium, had an in sump refuge so i had to empty out the sump. i did a waterchange but screwed up when i was mixing my salt using my red sea hydrometer and added way too much salt, ended up spiking my salinity to over 1.028, i got a refractometer now so this won;t happen again. i slowly lowered my salinity over the past 2 days but now all my corals look like they're dying. i already lost my xenia already, my hammer is all shriveled up, mushroom is tiny, and zoos are cloosed, lobo brain is a little deflated but looks like it;s doing pretty well. fish are all still fine and eating well but half my snails look like they are dying. but the thing that taking this the hardest is my rose anemone it;s deflated not sticking on the rock and some guts coming out of the mouth. here's a pic

i tested my water and ammonia nitrite and nitrate is still 0. i'm stressing out big time. i dunno what to do, should i do a waterchange? do u think the anemone will make it?
    everything was going to well too :bawling:
    Vu

If the anemone is already detatched and spitting out its guts, I would remove it as it is most likely too far gone. Also, get ready to do a large water change in case anything starts to die off. Also run a lot of carbon and crank up your skimmer.

Sorry for your anemone. I would take it out and keep mornitoring your parameters. Take the time to slowly lower salinity to 1.026 by dripping fresh ro/di to your sump/tank while maintaining the same temperature. Good luck.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

What makes you think the anemone is too far gone ????? Its a common occurance for them to deflate like that, i wouldn't remove it at all i'd just leave it
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

I'd leave it too. Just make sure you run carbon and keep a close eye on it.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Originally posted by fishmonger
    What makes you think the anemone is too far gone ????? Its a common occurance for them to deflate like that, i wouldn't remove it at all i'd just leave it

It is detatched and spitting out its guts and/or turn inside out then it's too far gone.

it hasn;t turned inside out, it;s mouth is still closed it just spits out some guts every once in a while and has some trouble sticking on the rocks but it can still inflate it's feet. i really hope that it'll make it though. i'm keeping everything very constant at the moment. how long should i run the carbon for? i also lost a lot of snails too. anyone think that i should do a waterchange or will that put too much stress on the system?
    Vu

whe was the last water change done?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

i did a 5 gallon change last week that started all this
    Vu

Have you tested your water params?

That would be step 1 for me. Then a water change. Maybe.

PH, ALK, Nitrate, Ammonia, SG to start with.

The fact that you are losing snails may be concidence or maybe the anenome is polluting the water
    Don't Panic Feel free to visit my blog -> Internet Tough Guy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast