Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preparing for my move... on the 30th

So I'm moving into my house this weekend and wanted some advice on how I might go about moving the tank.

I have some ideas as it is, but would really like other perspectives. This is the plan as it stands:

Fri 29th, go to the house and set up my RODI rubermaid Brute cans (auto shutoff). If I can, I will try to do this on the 28th so I can have more water on hand.

Sat 30th put rock into rubbermaid tubs with a bit of water.
    Catch the fish and put them into 5 gallon buckets. Drain the tank the rest of the way and collect all the snails and hermits etc. Scoop the substrate into containers and leave the tank mostly empty. Bring to house and reassemble.

My 2 biggest concerns are for the fish and the substrate. Will the fish be ok in the 5 gallon buckets? And should I rinse the substrate with fresh salt water to help get some sediment and built up detritus out, or should I not worry about that and just put it back in the tank and let the skimmer work it all out?

Any and all ideas are welcome.
    -Dazz

I had a bad experience trying to move a sandbed. I used to have a HOB fuge for my nano and then I decided to plumb the tank. I used the sand from my HOB fuge and some new sand for my new fuge and it totaly got corrupted. I smelled like sulfur and the pods all died. Good thing I hadn't plumbed the main system to the tank yet. I ended up cleaning out the sump/fuge and starting over with brand new sand. Maybe it's cuz I disturbed the sand too much but I don't know. Based on my experience I would say to use mostly new sand and seed it with some of the old sand. Rinsing the sand might be o.k also ... but again I have no experience with that.

Good luck with the move,

Steph

A recent issue of FAMA had an article on just this topic. Sorry, I don't have it with me just now. If you can find someone who has it, it would help you out.

One thing that was mentioned was to siphon off some clean water for the fish before you remove all the rock. If you wait until all the rock has been removed, no matter how careful you are, your tank water will surely be clouded. Siphoning water for the fish at the very start will help them have clean water for the move. The same would go for the coral as well.

Depending on how far the move is, and how long the fish and corals will be in buckets, you might want to consider buying battery operated air pumps (if you don't already have some), and putting an air stone in the bucket to help oxygenate the water.

StephG: My sand bed is a shallow one, and it is moved around quite a bit by the flow and inhabitants. Was yours similar or a DSB?

percula99: I'll have to look for that! Good idea on the clean water, and the move is only 35km so it will be about a 35 to 40 min drive in the UHaul. I do have a battery operated air pump too that I can add in for extra protection.
    -Dazz

The sand bed I had in the fuge was about 4-5 inches so yeah it was deep.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Dazz,
    Since your moving in my neck of the woods, I have some rubbermaid containers, powerheads to help oxygenate the water, and what-not that I can lend you.

Another thing to think about (worry about) is the temperature in that 5 gallon container housing your fish. Make sure it doesn't get too hot (or too cold if in the basement) while they're in there.

Hmmm.... I have a 30 gal tank that you can set up temporarily to house the fish and coral as well.... Lemme know.

Have EXTRA mixed saltwater on hand. Trust me, you'll need it. Even if you don't need it, you can use it for a water change a week later.

If you can't get enough water in time, lemme know a day or two in advance. If not, you can get RO/DI water at Loblaws 10 minutes away. I used it when I moved last year. I also have ~8 5gal water jugs for that purpose.

Sandbed.... that will be an issue. It's generally suggested that you keep only the topmost inch of sand if you had a DSB. If it's only a shallow bed, just scoop it all out, keep it under water during the move, and you should be ok.

Keep my number handy. If you need help, I'm near by and should be home this week-end.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Hein?!?!? Dazz is moving near here?!?!?! well I'll be... LOL

Ok if you need more RO/DI water made I can also pitch in, just tell me in advance

One thing that worries me is the 5 gallon bucket... :s you know s**t happens all the time! if a bad luck comes and your extimated time in the bucket is longer... how about oxygen and heat? Wouldnt you be better with an empty salt bucket? I have some empties here with lids if ya want one.

SSB dont worry to much... do like Vince said, cover with water it'll be fine.

Welcome to the area man! and have a good move
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Dazz,

I have an empty, cycled, 180 gallon tank with lots of light, flow and filtration. If you need a place to park something, let me know.

Bill

Tang_Man, Carol_pol, and Bill, thank you all very much!

I'm hoping I wont need to call on your services heh, but as you said, s**t happens . For the fish, I did mean an old salt bucket with lid, and I can stick the battery powered air pump in there.

Corals... heh, I only have some Xenia, zoos and GSP still alive (long story) and whatever came on the TBS rock.

I just got back from giving the bedroom a first coat and I have to say, I cant wait to move in , I'm already planning on where my new fish room is going to be
    -Dazz

ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast