Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Blue Ring Octopus

Hello, I have since 1 months two blue ring ring octopus!!! I information retrieval for the reproduction, because I would like to make thank you in advance the reproduction out of aquarium John

Salut John,

Mon Français n'est pas très bon mais je peux essayer Il y a d'autres ici qui parlent français ...

Avez-tu essayé de lire www.tonmo.com ? Il est anglais mais je pense qu'ils auront la meilleure information.
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Salut Krugar

Je veux faire la reproduction des Blue ring octopus j'en aie deux dans mes bac, et je cherchait comemnt les reproduire voila .A+ John

Désolé je suis en retard pour une réunion, je ne peux pas traduire ceci en ce moment:

I can't find any hobbiest breeding blue rings, but there may be some scientist that tried.

The problems are:

The male usually dies immediately after mating.
    The female usually dies shortly after laying her eggs in captivity.
    I don't know if the female needs to be alive or not to rear her clutch.

Also blue rings have an extremely short life-span. 6 months in the wild and about 1 month in captivity. This combined with how poisonous they are amounts to not a lot of info.

www.tonmo.com might be able to point you in the right directrion.

Sorry I can't post that all in French, I need the practice, but work calls...

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Just reading a bit of that tonmo site.
    They consider it an absolute MAJOR success to have an octo survive 10 months.
    They are actually listing their dead tank inhabitants and the lenght of time it had lived as a mark of success.

Here are some links to organizations you should ship that blue ring to so that they might release it:
    The following organizations are interested in conserving the BRO’s habitat by protecting Australia’s reef systems:

Great Barrier Marine Park Authority, http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/

Australian Marine Conservation Society, http://www.amcs.org.au/issues/gbr/gbrmain.htm.

Australian Institute for Marine Science, http://www.aims.gov.au/pages/researc...r/smgbr12.html

and while you are concerned with mating it I'll throw this in so that you keep your mits out of the tank:

The bite of the blue-ringed octopus may be painless but it is definetly deadly. Its venom contains some maculotoxin which is more violent than any animals found on land. This poisen is 10,000 times more potent that cyanide. Upon being bitten, the victom's nerve conduction is stopped and paralysis sets in after a few minutes. Paralysis is then followed by death. Some symtoms are as follows:

*Nausea

*Blindness

*Loss of all other senses

If you do see someone get bit you should immediatly call 911, and then apply compresion to the wound as if it was a snake bite. Artificial respiration should also be started as soon as possible. The only way to survive is hours of heart massage and artificial respiration until the poisin has worked its way out of the system. There is no anit-venom to date.
    125G in wall
    2 x 250 hqi
    4 x 4' actinics
    tunze wavemaker & 6060
    2 x 1200 maxi's
    quiet one 3000

...just started of course

One day my daughter asked me for Nemo. Here we are thousands later and I'm just getting started.

One has to wonder if this is a troll or a post. What person in their right mind would want to keep something as deadly as a Blue Ringed? Hello, I smell a troll or someone who likes to live on the edge....

I have a friend that is from australia and works has a enginner for helicopter company over there and brought numerous people to explore the great barrier reefs tec.....I was actually talking about that blue ringed octopus the other day with him and told me that he can comfirm and prove that alot of people got bitten by them and survived because they had a helicopter there to bring them to the hospital.

There is no know cure or shots or ways to remove the venom from your system but if the person is brough in to the hospital as soon as he/she starts the feel weird,its only a a matter of minutes(45-90 min approx)that the hospital can stabilize them and wait till the venom is out of there system.Even at the hospital they can die but actually there is alot of people that survived because of helicopters to bring them soon enough to the hospital...ITs a matter of of general health as well and age too...younger and older people will die faster.....

All i can say is that any store that carries this species do not have their heads at the right place as there are too many uninformed hobbiest out there
    Derik...

"Of Special Note - The volitan lionfish is extremely poisonous and can kill humans if they ingest its venom. The lionfish protects itself from predators with sharp spines in its dorsal, pelvic, and anal fins. When a predator is stabbed with one of these spines, venom flows into the wound. Since the fish is dangerous to humans, it is not recommended that it be handled. Despite the threat, the fish remains popular in expensive marine aquariums"

Is this not the pot calling the kettle black??

Just to let you know..you would have to be in bad health condition to begin with ,if one would die from a sting of a lionfish...And they are not poisonous they are venomous....poisoning is from ingestion and venomous is from injection...Volitans are one of the less venemous in its species..ive been reserching this fish since the fist day i got one and still do read on it..

unlike the blue ring Most of the venoms protein are removed by applying hot water to the wound for as long as you can handle it....The person can feel bad for a few days after this but will not die or even come close to it unless the person has health problems to begin with....

Lots of fish will die from a sting of a lionfish but not us...
    Derik...

In a series of 101 documented cases of captive lionfish envenomations in the US, the following effects were reported (Gallagher, 2001):
    92% of patients experienced local pain
    60% of patients experienced edema
    13% of patients experienced systematic symptoms
    1% of patients experienced tissue necrosis
    0% of patients experienced death

In another study of 45 documented cases of captive lionfish envenomations reported to the San Francisco Poison Control Center over a 5 year span, the following effects were reported (Kizer, et al, 1985):
    100% of patients experienced local pain
    22% of patients experienced pain extending through the affected extremity
    13% of patients experienced systemic symptoms
    0% of patients experienced death
    Derik...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast