Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devil's Hand

Devil's Hand

You all had a lot of good info on the goniopora (unfortunately it was bad news, but helpful nonetheless).
    Any insider tips on keeping my Devil's Hand?

this is an actual picture of the one in my tank.
    Albert
    My Photos

(i guess i couldnt get it to link the picture directly)
    Albert
    My Photos

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Devil's Hand (Lobophytum spp.) is considered to be among the most toxic corals. They are very hardy, however can cause damage to sps and lps corals without even touching them. It's actually their mucous shedding that should be kept a close eye on, and not let it touch other corals.

These guys are known to grow very big, and very fast.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

what is it with my luck. i bet my mushrooms are also known to eat large fish at this rate.

how toxic are they? can it kill another coral? if i blow off the shedding, is it still toxic? or does it just break down?

(it is already very big, and from the 2-3 weeks that i have it, i already notice its growth a little bit.)
    Albert
    My Photos

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    lol...

As with most leathers (even sarcophytons), it's best to use chemical filtration (ie: activated carbon) to help with the toxins emmitted by these guys. Aside from that, they're great corals to have.

As for mushrooms... I've seen a picture of a mandarin getting eaten by a hairy mushroom....
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

dont even start with the mushrooms, i will go crazy already.
    I always run activated carbon (from the emporer cartridges, changes them about every 6 weeks). is there a reason not to always run the carbon?
    regarding the leathers, here is a link to what marine depot has to say about them on their web sites. they claim that they are peaceful with their tankmates...
    http://www.marinedepotlive.com/1153674.html
    Albert
    My Photos

Originally posted by tang_man_montreal
    As for mushrooms... I've seen a picture of a mandarin getting eaten by a hairy mushroom....
    Heh, heh... I'll bet the pic you're referring to was in Alrha's tank!! Who else would have that luck??!!!

Alrha,
    As Tang guy said. Whenever you have softies or leathers in a tank, it's always a good idea to be running some carbon to absorb the toxins they produce. Even if the mucous doesn't touch other corals directly, as they break up in the water column it has nowhere to go in a closed system, so yes it could affect the other corals.
    Don't worry about the luck thing... everyone has gone through that. I know I have among many others I personally know.
    As for what MarineDepot has to say in their description, I would recommend you always take the info with a grain of salt when shopping for things. Remember, they want to make the product saleable and entice the buyer. Their descriptions are always too "generic" for my taste.

he he, thanks toutuche, at least everyone here makes it fun! i guess it adds to the challange of reefkeeping (because you know we have been getting so good that the 'challenge' effect has been withering away - luck is Gods way of upping the stakes)
    Albert
    My Photos

Hah!!! Get into SPS big time and we'll see if the challenge is still fading!!!

i think i am working my way through softies and LPS in the meanwhile, i'll let you know when i get to SPS. (if not, i'll let your kids know by then)
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast