Livestock border crossing

So you can't bring corals over the border. But what about fish and inverts? A fellow hobbist said you can bring fish over, no prob, just wondering about inverts too. Or is all illegal?

You can bring stuff over
    you just have to make sure that you prove to them that if they "Escape" they will die within seconds...

thats what i heard, obviously canadian petstores have some stuff shipped through the US-Can boarder
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Never heard that one before :-)

Commercial outlets work within CITES regulations when they import, pay the fees, do the paperwork, etc. It's not worth it for the casual hobbyist to do though.

Corals are covered under CITES which restricts international trade. Fish aren't listed in CITES and so can be brought across the border. I don't think inverts are listed in CITES but am not sure. However, one risk is that if a customs officer thinks something is prohibited for import (either under CITES or under federal legislation), they can confiscate the item until you prove otherwise. By which time the fish/invert will likely be dead.
    Nick

I called canadian Customs and the Ministry of agriculture and they both told me I would have no problems.
    -Dazz

Originally posted by Bram
    .. make sure that you prove to them that if they "Escape" they will die within seconds...
    lol indeed. The last time I crossed border over to US, I was bring some laboratory equipments and some tiny protein sample frozen in liquid nitrogen. And the customs ppl basically asked me "if these "stuffs" get out, will they spread?"... I'm like "errr no"...." so they will die once get out?" ... "yeahhhh huhhh, it's not a living organsim so it's already hum dead, it's just protein"... "It's not like SARS or anything, right?"... "NO"

Anyway I looked at the CITES briefly... all stony corals are regulated... but zoos and mushrooms etc aren't, as apparently they aren't strictly corals. Don't quote me tho, check it urself.

Is it highly likely that a customs officer will specificall know what a Zoos and mushrooms are... none the less know what they will look like?

Lets get the the good stuff

Duty Free Booze are Rock bottom cheap,
    (Remember: You have to be in the U.S. for more then 48 Hours)

it ruined my 36 hour stay.
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

ALL coral are cities covered,fish are not,you may call 10 government agencies and get 10 different replies,be careful to have all proper paperwork.

Hard corals are all regulated by cities,you must have proper paper work or they will not allow it to be enter Canada.

From what I recall soft corals are not on the cities list,nor are zoos,mushrooms or inverts if you have the proper paper work invoice spiecies name ect,then you should not have a problem.

As for the goverment agency`s saying yes....hmm once again a classic one for the government...left hand dosent know what the right hand is doing as usual.

Its sad to say they will say yes...now and then say no when your at the border and let them rot there,they dont give a shit about the livestock.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Originally posted by flavio
    ALL coral are cities covered,fish are not,you may call 10 government agencies and get 10 different replies,be careful to have all proper paperwork.
    So getting these papers means going through the government, obviuosly, right? If they are not on cities( fish, Inverts), then what papers do I ask for?

I just figured if it's not on there we could be fine. But you are right, how they are not all on the same page.