Salifert test kits

when using these amazing test kits, the instructions clearly state that when using the titrator that the air it picks up when filling is already accounted for in the measurements.
    My question is when filling the 5mL syringe, there is always a small air bubble the first time you fill it. if you empty it and fill it again there is no air. Which is the proper measurement? is the 5mL meant to include the air like in the titrator? or should the air be expelled being that the instructions dont mention to ignore it?
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    The 1ml titrator has the air space calculated into the measurement so there's no worries there, but the air bubble in the 5ml should expelled before. I had spoken to Habib ( owner and chemist of Salifert) about this awhile ago on RC in a PM. I turn it upside down and flik it with my finger once or twice to knock the air bubbles to the top then expel them. If you hold the syringe upside down with the nipple on the upper side of holding it slightly angled, the bubble will easily go into the nipple by itself.

thanks for clearing it up. I always expel it and suck it in again to get it without the air. just wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing.
    have you ever used their iodine test kit? how do you like it? (i have the one from multi-test)
    Albert
    My Photos

Nope on the Iodine thingy ( by the way..., I checked your description sig. before replying here as to what testkits you're using and I can't answer wrong because you don't have them listed : )
    The only Salifert I have is for Calcium.

how do you like the calcium kit? does it also require you to add RO/DI water?
    Albert
    My Photos

I have heard the Salifert is trying to rework their Iodine test as it currently is very subjective. If anyone uses another type I would love to know of an accurate Iodine test kit.
    I use all Salifert expert for Ammonia and for that I use Hagen
    J

Jakets, i use the Multi-Test (i think made by SeaChem)
    in 3 words - I HATE IT! i have never seen a more inacurate test kit. first of all, its impossible to tell from the colors what the reading is (i just use it to see if i have ANY Iodide reading) and the instructions do not use measurements but rather "fill to thread level" and "one stem" of liquid. after reading the fine print i found that "one stem" is 14 drops (which is like a stem and a half). As soon as Salifert comes out with one, i'm on it!
    Albert
    My Photos

I have 5 test kits and all are Salifert, most accurate of all test kits.

MINIATUS