Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My 75 Gallon setup (photo rich)

Well, it has been a while coming, but, the 75 is finally wet and supporting life.

There are three batches of rock in it, some from my 29, some I bought off Bouboule and some I got off a coworker (loaded with hair algae but, a whole lot of it).

Here is the stand beside the 29 gallon.

Here is the stand opened, the light slides back and more than 1/2 of the top is accessible. You can see the 65 gallon sump (incomplete in this photo).

Here is a recent shot of the tank only.

Here is the tank with Actinic:

A closeup of the Leather that came with the rock (it started with "Do you want a Cleaner Shrimp?" and ended with about 120 lbs of rock some coral, a bucket of salt, and oh ya a Cleanershrimp)

Here is the current sump arrangement:
    Water comes down in the back right, the skimmer picks up some and dumps into the refugium. A MaxiJet 1200 is feeding a PhosBan reactor and also sumps into the refugium. The rest of the flow goes under the refugium and ends up in the return section as does the outflow of the refugium. Currently a Mag 7 returns water to the ReefRat in the back left of the display. (I also have two closed loops from the lower back to the top front corners alternating.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I still have to sort out (i.e. make neat) the electrics and I plan to have a 10-15 gallon auto top off to the front left of the sump, and, and, and, well, the list is nearly endless.

I suppose I should mention that OSD drilled the main tank for me, thanks. Harley sold me a spare Mag 7 and the ReefRat.

That is a Corallife Super Skimmer 220, a PhosBan 150, the Mag 7 return (maybe to be replaced with a Quiet One 3000 I bought).

Johnny Rock sold me the PFO ballast to run the 400 watt MH in the PFO reflector I bought here on AC. The 400 is currently a 13K PFO as well, also from Johnny. I have a 55 watt PC actinic. I also need to light the refugium.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Nice setup Cres. Good work. Looks well thought out.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Looking sweet ... Love the look under actinics

Great job cres.

I've visited cres' place the other week and the setup is very nice. Well thought out.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Thanks. It is hard to see from the photos, but, the display is offset from the sump, so, all the plumbing off the back of the display is directly over the sump, so, any leaks or drips from maintenance won't land inside the stand or on the floor.

Nothing stops all water from ever hitting the floor, but, this should help.

The skimmer is also completely contained inside the sump. As I found out, if you raise the water level in the sump, the level rises in the skimmer (I was still bringing the level up). It overflowed nicely for a while until I noticed. Luckily it was fairly clean to start with and all the water stayed in the sump.

Looking good. Set up well thaught out! Is your skimmer pulling gunk? Got pics of it in action?
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Well, the last picture above is the best shot I have so far.

As far as nastiness, I can smell it near the tank when the skimmer is as full as shown. I need to clean it but don't really want to level of nasty. Since I'm still adjusting things and the water level in the sump isn't controled by an autotopoff yet, I do have to fiddle with it a bit.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Lookin good Cres,
    I've heard excellent things about the CSS 220 skimmer that you have. You won't be disappointed with it.
    Water level plays an important part on the performance of that skimmer. Also something to note, is that Coralife pointed out a mistake in their documentation for the CSS skimmers recently. Apparently it states in the instructions that the skimmer pump should be 8" under the surface of the water. This is wrong. It should actually be close to the surface, at around 1-2" from the surface. Installing it this way, the pump doesn't have to fight with headpressure, and you get better performance out of your skimmer. There's quite a few tips like that one on the CSS thread at RC.

By the way, nice toadstool! the tank's lookin good!
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Yeah, I've read the threads on RC.

I noticed when trying out my skimmer to start that leaving full length of hose from pump to skimmer produced a very meager amount of foam. I cut it in half and immediately had a marked improvement.

As it is set up now, it is about 2.5" below the surface and seems to be pulling well. I should take a photo of my mod on the output, which simply turns a 90 to the left and then another 90 down into a sort of spraybar into the refugium. Turns out on the 220 anyway that 1" Schedule 40 PVC fits perfectly into the output to replace the flexible hose that comes with the skimmer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast