Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Tang with parasites!

well, as we all very well know by now, i am Mr. Lucky. of my two prize fish, the Queen Angel has gone to meet her maker, and that leaves me with my Red-Sea Sailfin Tang.
    Looking at it i am noticing white spots on her body. not dots like sugar (which would signify parasites) but more like blotches. could this be parasites too? would the tang be ok for a freshwater dip? i have also noticed her eye like that as well. my two cleaner shrimp have gone MIA after i raised my salinity to higher levels (based on our salinity discussion). It wasnt until today that i read about how sensitive they are to changes in salinity and that it should be done VERY gradually.
    I will get more cleaner shrimp tomorrow, lets see if they can solve the problem.
    Albert
    My Photos

Firstoff, I clicked on this thread expecting to see something about Vince having broken out in some type of rash, but alas.... I was wrong!!!:silly:

IMO, before chasing it around the tank and stressing it even more, try feeding it Selcon soaked food, or better yet garlic juice soaked food. Get the cleaners and yes acclimate them very very slowly ( over a few hours and make sure you keep the temp stable too). When done too fast they do what's called an "Implosion" which is basically there exoskeleton will get air bubbles in it which is fatal to them ( I admittedly learned this the hardway when I first started in this hobby and my cleaners on 3 occasions died while giving them a freshwater bath after purchasing them).

i have been soaking his food in Selcon since i noticed it.
    i will take your advice with the cleaners (as i take it with everything else as well). i have found that there are two ways to learn things in this hobby - that hard way, or by asking you.
    Albert
    My Photos

I have had very little success with Cleaner Shrimp, But still keep them as I like the look of them. I have found a cleaner Wrasse very good at cleaning all my fish. When I purchased it the LFS said at any time I could return it (once it had done it's job). But I have kept it and it seems to be doing very well. My Tang and Blenny will let it do it's job when ever it wants and everyone has been very healthy ever since getting it.

J

Please... don't take my word as gospel. It's only my opinion and either what has "worked" for me or what I've read. I learn a lot from you too!!! You always teach me more things as far as the whole chemistry part of this hobby ( admittedly, a weak point on my side).
    As for the shrimps, Jakets is right. The shrimps do what's called Passive cleaning, which means they wait for the fish to come to them. The cleaner wrasses do what's called "active" cleaning because they themselves go after the different fished to clean and pick at them. However, lots of people say that they die very soon and shouldn't even be a fish that is sold in LFS's. They also apparantly, try to go after some fish to clean so much or aggressively that they end up stressing the other fish therefore making them even more sick as an end result. As with lots of things in this hobby, it's not a sure thing!!!

Just thought I'd thow in my 2 cents...for what it's worth
    My past experience with upping the salinity was not nearly as gradual as what most people advice. I have on two occasions upped it from 1.009 to 1.020 in one day (16 hours) with not one casuality. I was told by a old reefer that had been in the hobby for 35 years that I could do this. I trusted him and hesitantly tried it...not even a sick fish. They are still alive today...so no ill effects from it either. Just my experience??
    Lynn
    Lynn

did u have any shrimp?
    Albert
    My Photos

isnt it also possible that once the fish is healthier (as he probably will be on thursday when i get my new skimmer) that he can fight off the parasites and heal himself?
    Albert
    My Photos

Relying on the skimmer as of Thursday would not be the best thing to do. It doesn't remove what is ailing your fishie. The best thing is to get the fish to be strong energywise and get his immune system up to par. Also, make sure it keeps eating. It owuld also help somewhat if we had a positive ID on what is ailing it.

should i just keep feeding him as much as he eats?
    is it possible to get too much selcon in the tank?
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast