Zombie coral, can this be?????????

I just found a peice of coral skeleton on my sand bed a few days ago that was half glowing(under attinics) as though it had some zooxelanthela(spelling) on it.

Could a coral skeleton still be glowing even if its dead? Or do I asume this coral is still alive?

Im quite baffled at this because this little peice of coral looks like a peice from my green cap that I had a few years ago, then took my tank down( sold all corals). When I detached the green cap from its spot it broke into a few peices, maybe 1 of them was left behind. Stored my sand bed in some buckets for almost 2 years and am now reusing substrate in current tank that has been runing for a few months.

Could a small peice of this coral have survived 2 years in a bucket????????? I realy doubt it, but what Im seeing is this tiny peice of coral skeleton glowing at the bottom of my tank.
    Zombie coral, can this be????????????????????????

Thank you for helping me determine what is happening.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

o.k. zombi master, go outside and get some fresh air!!! da bud is getting to you!!
    It can't be alive- must be some residual flesh or green algea that just looks more green under the actinics
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks for the advice! A few deap breaths of fresh air later... I was hopping youd see this thread. I know what your saying, theres no way its alive,,,, must be residual tisue,... even that is surprising after 2 years in a bucket full of moist aragonite.

You should see this thing glow. Strangly enough every other peice of skeleton in my substrate turns dark or gets coralined in all the different shades, but this peice keeps glowing and doesnt get covered which makes me thik its alive. Ive heard these corals are very tuff I would be mezmerised if... Ill give it a few more weeks and see what happens.

yeah, don't toss it or anything- if by some bizarre chance, it IS alive...that'd be pretty crazy..I just cant see it being alive..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Well heres the update on this thread. Im convinced now that the coral isnt alive. The cryptic tissue has almost completely vanished from the skeleton...

I guess my conclusion is that cryptic tissue can keep glowing under attinics a LONG time after its dead. Too bad, could have been prety cool. Oh well...