Cleaner shrimp died (from aggression?)

He is my first resident in my tank. He didn't survive his last molt  :'(

Ever since I have added a blood shrimp last month to my tank, he has been under constant aggression/harassment and not getting enough food. The blood shrimp booted him away and claimed his usual hiding spot, and has been getting the bulk of the food that falls to the sand bed.

I am just wondering if blood shrimps are aggressive in general, or just my specimen. Nowhere I have read says those blood shrimps are aggressive. I know two unpaired coral banded shrimps will fight to the death, and that some lobsters and crabs are intolarent of other crusteans. What I mean by aggressive is that the blood shrimp isn't interested in killing the cleaner shrimp for food, but wherever it goes, it displays "the road is mine" attitude.

Has anyone kept blood shrimps and can share your experience? These blood shrimps are expensive and I certainly find them attractive with the intense red colour, and I don't want to give it away. OTOH, I don't want to add another cleaner shrimp and be another victim of "tank rage".

Will two blood shrimps co-exist with each others?
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

ijo

Re: Cleaner shrimp died (from aggression?)

GOSUV,

I've had a blood shrimp pair in my main tank for almost a year now. *They say if you pair them up with will get over their shyness rather quickly(not your problem... but its imposing they like to be in groups).

I did find them a bit aggressive towards each other when its feeding time... I feel as long as they don't hurt each other, I let them take their place in the hierarchy.

If you have a lot of hidding places within your rock structure, I can't see there being much of a problem with different types of shrimp hanging out. *

They are in my opinion the best of all shrimp... you can actually hand feed these guys. *Hope this helps, maybe other members could share their views.

IJO

Always put blodd shrimps in pairs or three....never heard of one fighting a cleaner shrimp to death... ???
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Next time I will buy another blood shrimp to go with my lone one.

I have never seen the blood shrimp fight with the cleaner shrimp or attack it for that matter, but it is either the blood shrimp is overly active or the cleaner is excessively shy, that whenever the cleaner ventures into the path of the blood shrimp during feeding time, the cleaner shrimp shies away.

Two days before it died it just molted. Maybe I just chalk it up to a bad molt, or it was vulnerable to other stress when its exoskeleton hasn't hardened. It has gone through a major tank stir up months ago when I tried to catch 3 damsels so I thought it was hardier than that.

Oh well. Rest in peace little guy.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

ok, i hesitated about posting this till tonight. I've had both in my tank. When i started out a year ago, i bought 2 cleaner and 1 blood shrimp. Soon after there was only one of each. I suspected the blood shrimp of killing the second cleaner shrimp, cause i didn't have much else in the tank. Up till now its been one and one, the blood shrimp stays on one side of the tank, the cleaner, on the other. I wasn't too happy with the blood shrimp since he only came out at feeding time. Lately i've been reading about keeping bloods in pairs. Ok, so this weekend, I bought a second one, expense i thought but what the heck, maybe the first one will come out more. Well..... Tonight I only have 2 blood shrimp in my tank, no cleaners. There's nothing different, except i've added a few corals and this second blood shrimp! > Maybe tank size has something to do with it, I run a 60.
    I've decided to purge my tank of 2 blood shrimps, anyone interested in trading for cleaners? Also i'm purging an aggressive fire clown out, since i can't put my hand in the tank without him trying to nip me.
    So, I got some fishing to do.
    I'm really sad about losing the cleaner shrimp, he was with me a year and was very active. :'(
    That's my history with bloods and cleaners, for what it's worth.

ijo

Gerry.... you lost the 2nd shrimp I sold you?  ???

If you want... I'll trade you a couple cleaners for the blood shrimp.  I prefer the bloodshrimp over a cleaner any day.  Just to let you know... I sell a bloodshimp for 40 and a cleaner for 25.  

IJO

ok, my bad. disregard my last post.
    This morning I checked again, and there he was (the little bugger cleaner). Damn, I checked that tank over for 2 hours last night! Not a sign of him. Way to feel stupid. Should have hesitated one more day posting that last entry. :-[
    The bloods can stay, for now, but i'm watching them. The clown's still gotta go! Think i'll try your coke bottle trick. I'll just use my hand inside one end as bait!
    Yes, Ivan, lost the second one, I thought i'd been extra  careful with him, felt like an hour, feeding water into the bag, but when I finally released him, he quickly swam to a corner, and there he stayed. The snails were on him in less than 3 minutes.