Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry I hate fragging... or it just hates me...

Wow what a PITAÖ I just fragged some zoos. Iíve done this before but, Iíve always had someone come over and help me. Well I thought I could handle it on my own. After all itís really not hard to do. Ya right, the act of fragging isnít hard but did I ever have a hard time. The piece of rock the zoo colonies I was fragging, 5 of them, are on is about 20lbs. Needless to say it would really mess up my rockwork if I took it out to frag. So I left it in and started in on the scrapping. Got them lifted up, itís a 33g so there were only about 5 polyps on each frag, without a problem. Now this is where the fun begins. I got the first one cut away fine, the second I had a little help. My perc bit me as I was holding on to it to cut, but ended up ripping it off as I jumped (didnít see it coming). The third I was fighting off the fish so the cut wasnít as clean as it could have been. As I was going to do the fourth one my peppermint, whom I thought was on the other side of the tank, decided that I needed a manicure. Well I jumped again in the old ĎWTF was thatí reaction. Looked back to see my shrimp backing off, and a polyp floating by off the piece that I was going to frag. Luckily it was the very end polyp so it was easy to clean up. Finally I said that enough was enough. I wasnít going to risk losing the frags or cutting off another polyp. And out the rock came. I guess a bristle worm was wondering what was going on, or he just wanted a shot at me too, because he popped his head out right at where my finger was. All I can say is son of a #!*@^ that hurt. I ended up accidentally ripping the frag off in the whole commotion. Talk about damned if you do and damned if you donít. Now Iíve come to the conclusion that Iím getting someone else to frag for me, or doing the olí let it grow on a rock and cut the rock away (with long tweezers and a knife on the end of a long stick) method. Zoos are suppose to be very hardy, cockroach like in a nuclear sort of way even, so I hope mine make it out ok.

Don't forget, those zoos can deliver a nasty dose of palytoxin that can send you to the emerg.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

Oh great something to look forward to....

I've read about that already, however, that would suck and knowing my luck today...

And just for those passing by :

C&P from GARF

"Symptoms of palythoa poisoning are well-described, due to their unique position as the worldí s most powerful poison: chest-pains, difficulty breathing, racing pulse and low-blood pressure. Death occurs within minutes, and there is no treatment."

Garf

Cool

why are you fragging? just let em grow.
    second, zoos aren't really toxic, some types of PALYENTHOA [spelling?] are but common zoos are not. the trick for fragging zoos is to put small pieces of rock right on them and let that get covered or let the zoos grow up your glass and peel them off.

I beg to differ Johnny Rock. I know someone who recently got treated for exposure to palytoxin. She accidently squashed a 'common' zoo with a rock while rearranging the tank. It emitted palytoxin in the water that gave her a nasty buzz which was treated with vasodilators. She was nauseated for 24 hrs, just from exposure to the water. She did not have direct skin contact with the zoo in question.
    People with known allergies, can be more at risk.
    Only the symptoms can be treated (shortness of breath, angina,racing pulse, nausea) There is no known anti-toxin.
    Death can result.
    If it happens to you, keep in mind the toxin is 'palytoxin'. Don't tell the medics it was a zooanthelae, or a "green one with a yellow centre." They won't know what your talking about.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

I agree with Swimfins here. There are soooo many different kinds of what we call "zoos" that telling wich one could poison you is impossible unless you are a marine biologist wich I (and most people) am/are not! Caution is better when handling those IMO.
    I also read that one of the first symptom can be a metal taste in the mouth. Well I now only handle them with gloves just to be sure, and I do all my fragging without my children or my cat present just to be on the safe side.

Crypto: I got a good chuckle out of reading your adventure... funny how we laugh at other people's expenses! I also have a "bitting" clown.
    Carol
    Can we fit one more tank? :P
    Dont mind my spelling mistakes I've got an excuse...I'M FRENCH!

Wink

Well just to let you know I just finished laughing my ass off. I feel sorry for you but it was very funny reading it. I now know what I have to run into if I ever start fragging. I'm still new to all this and was not aware of the danger you can run into.
    Anyways good luck in the future.
    If your gonna do it, do it right the first time.

My knowledge of ZOANTHIDS and there toxins seems to be a bit out dated as there is new/more info on zoanthids so I stand corrected.
    here is a link from ERIC on RC.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...ght=toxic+zoos

Well glad I could make you all laugh. I fragged them because I'm trying to keep them small until the tank is stocked, and I had plans for where they were overgrown, then they can fill in. I have more zoos but luckly they are on smaller rocks. My problem wasn't with lifting the zoos away from the rock, but cutting the frag away so I woould have been screwed either way. However, I'm going to try the 'cut away the rock' trick next time. If I have any problems I'm getting a shrimp trap and a big holding net. The good news in all this is this morning the frag opened all the polyps up. So for the next week until they go they should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast