Thread: Float Valve

Float Valve

I use tap water in my tank. For water changes, I let the mixture sit wit a small power head in it for at least a day. For top-offs, I just have tap water which has sat for at least a day.
    I was going to run a small water line from my laundry room, which is next to my tank room. 1/4", exactly like used for an ice maker in your fridge, they have shut off where it taps into pipe. Then just have some kind of on/off valve at the end next to tank. This way I can add a little every day.
    I just saw a Kent Marine Float Valve at Marine Depot. Says its ok with city water pressure. I thought I could drill a hole ot top of tank for it and put the water line into it. Being such a small quantity of water being added slowly, I don't think it, the water, not sitting out matters.
    Is this something poeple do, it doesn't say exactly what they sell this float valve for.

If you're using just tap water you can acually use a toilet flush box float valve assembly. They arn't very expensive.. and it's easy to do (all standard plumbing stuff) I was going to do the same thing, but then I bought an RO/Di unit..