relocating my current tank, need advice...

Ok I am upgrading my current 45 gal tank to a 95 gal tank (YIPPIE !!!) current tank is in the living room at a 30 degree angle (best viewing when sitting down watching TV (tank usually) anyways the new tank will be going in the same spot so my dilema is this....

How do I move the current tank over about 4 feet so I can put the new one in its place and not distrubing any of my corals fish and live rock as muich as possible... I want to start up the 95 SLOOOWLY so this way its close to the existing tank so I can swap water over from the established tank (in small amounts) to the larger one and cure my additional live rock (another 50 pounds) and have the sand setle and so on....

Anyone have to do this before and if so what is the best way.. Lifting the tank (current one) is out of the question but do you think with 4 guys it would be possible??

Any suggestions?

unfortunatly you cannot move a tank like that with any or much weight at all. you stand the chance of scratching your floor, loosing the integrity of your stand and possible breaking a seal on your tank.not to mention a rock fall!
    get some bins, take everything out and move the tank. should take around 3 hours tops. won't hurt your corals.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Never move a tank with water in it. Doing so puts undue stress on the seams of the tank which could cause a flood.

Start by having newly mixed water ready for a water change. You'll see why later.

I'd remove the water down to the sandbed into a containers (such as a large rubbermaid), place the inhabitants into the containers with powerheads/heaters...

With most of the water out of the tank, you can proceed to move the tank as evenly as possible so as not to disturb the sandbed to it's new intended spot.

With the tank in it's new spot, add your water, rock, and finally inhabitants back into the tank.

Keep an eye on Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in case the sandbed was disturbed. If need be, perform a water change.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ahh vince we were typing at the same time LOL.
    ;;LOST ANOTHER ONE TO DITECH''
    OH NO, LOOKS LIKE i STILL BEAT YA

heheh... Johnny, we posted at the same time.
    Great minds...

AGAIN! LMAO

What if I were to take out half the water 50-60% and then shufle it over lifting the stand inch by inch ever so sloooowly ?? Would that work or no?

Well, as much as those 2 gents are right, it _is_ possible to move a mostly set up tank like that mp123. If you look at melev's 280g project, he did exactly what you want to do.

http://www.melevsreef.com/280g.html
    -Dazz

thats kind of what I had in mind as wel... If I have to go lower than 50% then I'll do so and then with a bucket replace the water so not to stir up the sand bed and cause nitrate nitrate and ammonia problems. Then put the corals back if from the container that I will be takeing the water back from... I will also have soem on reserve just in case I need to do a water change. I'm gonna cross my fingers and toes for this one and once its done free beer for all my helpers ANyone wanna fly out to vancouver BC