Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another new tank thread

I thought I would come out of the closet on my new tank build and show a few pictures. I am coming back from a disasterous crash that ended the life of my 90 gal SPS tank. I am now starting over with a 180. It has been running about a month and it is far from finished.

I am building the cabined into the wall. Everything is exposed now. The fuge sits above the tank and drains directly into the display.

The the 250 watt DE MHs hang from a rack that slides in and out using drawer slides

Here is the lighting rack from the side:

Here is a close-up that shows how I use nylon screws and screw eyes to adjust the angle of each fixture:

This is the drain from the overhead fuge:

The back room is a little complicated:

Here is a diagram:

This is what all the mess looks like:

I don't have the Seagrass tank running. I was just starting to plumb it and fill it with sand today and I cracked it by leaning on the bulkhead:

I am thrilled with this skimmer:

This is two-days worth of skimmate.

For your perspective, the top of the skimmer holds 1.25 gallons.

I'll post more as I get the system closed up and plumb in the Seagrass System (after I repair it.)

Thanks to everybody who helped me recover from my disaster and set up. I'll have a decent system in a few months.

Bill

Bill i cannot open the picture links?

Sorry about that. Let me try this again with the pictures hosted on this site.

=======================

I thought I would come out of the closet on my new tank build and show a few pictures. I am coming back from a disasterous crash that ended the life of my 90 gal SPS tank. I am now starting over with a 180. It has been running about a month and it is far from finished

I am building the cabined into the wall. Everything is exposed now. The fuge sits above the tank and drains directly into the display.

The the 250 watt DE MHs hang from a rack that slides in and out using drawer slides

Here is the lighting from the sides"

Here is a close-up that shows how I use nylon screws and screw eyes to adjust the angle of each fixture:

This is the drain from the overhead fuge:

The back room is a little complicated:

Here is a diagram:

This is what all the mess looks like:

I don't have the Seagrass tank running. I was just starting to plumb it and fill it with sand today and I cracked it by leaning on the bulkhead:

I am thrilled with this skimmer:

This is two-days worth of skimmate

For your perspective, the top of the skimmer holds 1.25 gallons.

I'll post more as I get the system closed up and plumb in the Seagrass System (after I repair it.)

Thanks to everybody who helped me recover from my disaster and set up. I'll have a decent system in a few months.

Bill

Looking very nice Bill.

Tight fit Bill but it looks like you have it laid out pretty good. It's nice to have all the equipment in one place isn't it. Makes checking, tuning and cleaning a breeze eh.
    Rob

Bvoss, Im impressed with your set up. Especialy the light set up :thumb: The 50 gallon fuge above the tank is also a realy cool.. That skimmer looks like its quite full of bubbles, nice. Thanks for posting those pics right on the site, keep us posted with the updates.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Bill
    Very nice indeed!
    What pump are you using as a return pump? Is it all tied in together? ie: main tank, fuge, seagrass? I see how you they overflow into each other, but not how water gets pumped to
    them....
    What are you using for circulation? I see some rats I believe, and I think a tunze or two....

You look very well stocked already too! By the way, You still have some frags with your names on them here at my place as I promised ya months ago....
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks everybody. It is a bit messy right now but the fundamentals are working very well.

I use one big Panworld pump (Iwaki 70 knock-off). It goes through 1 1/2 spaflex to two 1"DW Reefrats in the front corners. The same pump feeds the fuge. I keep the return line for the fuge just out of the water so it acts as a big fail-safe siphon break for the whole system.

It has a full length glass overflow with 3 1 1/2" outlets for piece of mind. One of the overflows will go to the Seagrass tank that will then cascade down to the sump. Another one of the returns will go straight into the skimmer when I modify it to recirculate.

For the real flow, I have 2 Tunze 6100s on a controller in the back corners. I have zero settling in the main tank. Everything stays supended until it goes out the overflow. It has been running for a month and there is nothing to siphon in the main tank.

Speaking of that....This is a bare-bottom tank. I am using crushed coral glued to Starboard with epoxy.

Another recent addition is humidity control. The back room has a Canfan that I got from a Pot (hydroponic) shop. It is controlled by a humidistat in the back room.

I'll definately take some frags. I had some montipora and the birdsnest make it through, but they are pretty beat up and making a slow comeback. All of the acro passed on.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hmm...
    Very interesting.

How much flow do you figure that you have coming from the 2 reefrats? That pump is rated for around 1750gph@0ft. It's a pressure rated pump, so I'd guesstimate that you've got around 400gph out of each Reefrat, with another 400gph going up towards the 'fuge. Am I close?

On my own tank, I was thinking of changing my Mag18 return pump for a Dart so that I could tee off the return several times towards a refuge, isolation tank, and multiple small outlets for feeding the Ca Reactor, Phosban reactor, etc...

Are the Tunze 6100's on a multicontroller? Do you have any LPS, and if so, how are they doing with the flow from the tunze's?

In regards to your lighting, what brand of Pendants are those? They look like Sunlight Supply Reef Optix III+ or PFO mini pendants.... What color temp DE bulbs are you running? What ballasts?

I thought about going Barebottom'd... and in the end I opted not to since wrasses (who bury themselves) are in the tank's future.

I'm also using a Canfan, from the same place (lol). I had it wired permanently until recently when I added a humidistat. These fans make SUCH a difference, I suggest them to anyone having humidity issues. One thing, Did you install a weather flap in the ducting so that when the fan is OFF, cold air won't blow into your house? (ie: winter)
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast