Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

No DSB or refugium? How do you manage nitrates?

I'm interested in finding out how many of you DON'T have DSB's or refugiums.

Of those people, what do you do to manage your nitrate levels, if anything?

Only waterchanges?
    Other methods of filtration?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Currently, I have a 27 Gal Hex with an Aqua Clear 200 (carbon and biomax), live rock, and a good amount of circulation. I do a 5 gal water change weekly. One of the rocks has a good deal of halimeda that constantly grows. Also a small clean up crew of snails.

It aint easy. I have a 55 gallon, no sump, no refugium, and not a "true" DSB.

My sand bed is about 2 inches deep, but is not sugar sized grains, rather it is coarse araganite sand.

I skim aggressively, have lots of live rock, and good circulation. I also try to do a 10% water change and run a bag of carbon at least once a month, and that's about it.

However, I'm not happy with the over-all system's ability to export nutrients, and in my opinion, I fight hair algae outbreaks far more than I should. After seeing RJ's set up, a HOB refugium is high on my wish list.

I should also add that I keep a large clean-up crew of one hermit or snail per gallon, along with a black brittle star, tuxedo urchin, orange linkia star, two tiger-tail cucumbers, three pepermint shrimp and a pistol shrimp.

I have 2 inches of coarse aragonite sand and have zero nitrates, tank conditions have been perfect for 1.5 years now. I have a lighted sump for frag growing but that is all.
    My tank is pretty heavily stocked as well, over 55 corals and 12 fish in a 65 gal tank.
    Water changes about 5 gal. every 5-6 months.
    I only have a skimmer.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

I run a 90 gallon FOWLR and a 75 with FOWLR.with about 2 inches of sand in both tanks.No refugium.My nitrates are 10 in both tanks.I got 200# of LR in the 90 and 140# lr in the 75.Also i got lots of circulation in both tanks.I do 20% water change every 2 weeks.Also lots of skimming,and i only feed once a day.Once a mont a run some carbon.I think the main factor is good filteration and not over feeding.:beer:
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

I dont think I officially have a DSB, but i do have a lot of sand. I only have a skimmer and emporer on that now. I do have a lot of green algae, but now that i got a much better skimmer (the one before was hardly skimming a cup a month). I dont have a sump or a refugium so i guess my tank is closer to that of reeferboy. i always run carbon and also phosguard and Renew (by SeaChem) which claims to also absorb nitrates. so far my nitrates have been kept around 10 and i expect to see them lower now with the better skimming. - i dont do water changes btw.
    just a note, even without a DSB, Live Rock serves the same purpose as the inside of the live rock is also oxygen deficient where anaerobic denitrifying can remove nitrates. that is one of the most important aspects of the live rock.
    Albert
    My Photos

ALbert, why don't you do water changes?
    Gail in Nova Scotia

I've often wondered how effective the inside of live rock is once you get a good coating of coralline. It seems that it must make it less porous?
    Susan

Get yourself a drink and take a seat, this is a longy.
    i dont do water changes for two reasons (one practical one scientific).
    Practical - its a big pain and a hassle, not that the rest of the hobby isnt, but i try to minimize hassles.
    Scientific - i don't see a need to. i use to have a 20 gal tank when i was in high school for about 3-4 years and never really did a water change and everything was pretty much fine (most of my problems were just based on the fact that i knew nothing then). Especially today that we have these skimmers, and also by the fact of being a reef tank, most of the "junk" in the tank is either skimmed out, or filtered by the corals. any chemical things can be absorbed by the activated carbon. so as far as removing "junk" that is taken care of. and then by way of replenishing additives, this is accomplished by supplements. Being that based on these two sides there is really no "need" for it that has ever been proven, i wouldnt want to throw off the balance that the tank acheives with a water change or add unnecesary stress to everyone in the tank by subjecting them to such a change. as the tank "balances" out, it is a slow process and all the life (fish/inverts/bacteria/etc) slowly adjusts to it. by constantly changing the water, they are subject to changes and will never be able to adapt to the aquarium environment (which is not the ocean).
    i dont think i am the only one that does not do water changes, there was a poll i posted once (you may find it in the polls forum) and you can see how many people dont change their water regularly. i will admit that every now and then i may do a small (5 gal) water change just for the heck of it (replenish any trace elements not being added by me) and i may also let my skimmer run very wet, so that it is more effective and also removing that little amount of water every day which i can replenish with fresh salt water (which i just mix on the spot being that it is such a small amount, it does not have any adverse effects that i know of)
    i hope this pretty much sums up my position on this matter.

As far as the coralline decreasing the effectiveness of the live rock - this has been discussed in a previous thread a while back, and i agree with the opinion that the coralline itself is organic and porous (its not a piece of plastic wrap smothering the rock) this also of course is a SLOW process, so that even if it is having an effect on a certain area, the rest of the rock will be building up it bacteria to compensate for that. should you be so lucky that ALL your rock is absolutely completely covered by corraline AND you find that this is causing your nitrates to spike, you can get a sea urchin which would eat away at the coralline and open it up again. If this does happen to anyone, please let us know as we will have a deffinite answer regarding the effect of coralline on the rock. (of course it is also always important to blow currents at the rocks themselves so that you water will push through it and be filtered by the rock (if the water is just blowing around it, it will be filtering much slower than if you actually have a current blowing into the internals of the rock). Furthermore, i like to blow into the little holes of my rock with a turkey baster every now and then to let the "rock dust" - which i assume is part broken down stuff along with "decomposing rock" - i do this so that it will not clog up the holes, and water will be able to flow through the rock, as well as over time making the rock less dense by blowing out its decomposition, it leaves more room for water and bacteria within the rock.

now go take a break before you continue here, you deserve it.
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast