New Yellow Tang and Seaweed

Hey!

So after setting up my 40-gallon quarantine, I brought home my first fish purchase for my tank! He's a yellow tang, about 2" to 3" long. He is bright yellow, very alert and healthy, and doesn't have a single spot of ich on him (yet, hehe).

He picks at the algae on the rocks, and eagerly gobbles up the Hikari frozen Marine Algae preparation (I have both green and red) but he won't touch the Julian Sprung Seaveggies I spent almost $40 on!!!

I've tried the green, red, and purple, and he wants nothing to do with them. He isn't thin, but it worries me that he doesn't eat all day (I feed the frozen preparation once in the evening). I'd like him to get used to eating the seaveggies so that I know he isn't starving all day.

Any suggestions?

BTW... I know it's just a yellow tang. But I plan to keep more delicate fish (including more delicate tangs) and I'd like to pick up techniques I can use with them as well.
    Jenn

Head to your local grocery store, or where ever you can buy pre-made sushi, and pick up a stack of sheets of nori seaweed for a few dollars a pack. One pack will last you a month or more (at least), and my yellow tang loves it.
    Jason Nugent
    http://malhavoc.homeunix.com/
    ReefCentral Admin

180 gallon Oceanic with Lifereef Sump, 33 gallon with VHO, 20 gallon frag tank with MH

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    To add onto Malhavoc's excellent suggestion, which I use myself, is to simulate a natural environment for your tang to get the seaweed (nori).

Try attaching the nori to a rock with a rubberband so that he can pick at it. Algae clips work great, however the fish generally need to get used to feeding off a plastic thing with a suction cup that they don't generally see in the ocean. So it may take them some time before they get accustomed to that.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, both!

Will a moderate amount of excess seaweed foul the water if it detaches? Or can I safely leave my tang a little of each type of algae to graze on throughout the day?
    Jenn

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Try a 2" by 2" piece, and see how it goes.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I put about the same size tang man's suggesting in my tank for each tang & they graze on it all day.

The only thing I find is that the first couple sheets from a pack of nori break off what every you've attached them too, clog the drain until they get sucked in, and they get shredded into flake food by the return pump.

It's pretty much all good though, a tang's mission in life is to turn all nori into poo as quickly as possible.

Garlic does seem to work to stimulate their appetite. It could be complete happenstance, but I find about a half a clove of finely chopped garlic helps convience a new fish to eat.

I'm using 1/2 a clove in a 90G, you'll likely want to scale that.

Normally if a tang's awake it's looking for food. Once he's in that mood, I stop adding garlic.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.