Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What are these white strings???

I moved some of the rock work around in my tank. Not a lot but the sand bed was disturbed a bit. After finishing, I noticed these white strings coming out of the rock work. They are a little way away from the rocks I was moving so I am a little confused as to what it is. Any guesses as to what it could be? There was quite a bit of it.

I have seen these many times in the past. I don't know what it is but the white stringy things are used to gather food by the owner of those strings. You will see many of them ... sometimes rather long, laid out over the rocks like sticky traps. My best guess would be that they are OK but someone who actually knows what they are will have to chime in.
    Rob

vermatid snail [spelling?] they have usually little tubes and on one end they throw out a net that they reel back in. some types are larger than others. they have a little trap door on the end of there tube. I have a bunch.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I'm thinking Spaghetti worm....
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Do a search on Vermittid snails here on this site and you'll find a few threads on them. You want to get rid of them as they multiply a lot. Some people, myself included, think they stress out many stony corals by depriving the coral of all the nourishment it can get. When they throw out their net, it often lands on corals and while covering it, the coral tends to retract it's polyps. Over time it can start to have an impact on the corals. There are no "reef safe" animals that will eat these snails, so you have to manually remove them yourself. Do it now while there are less. I used to go in the tank with a pair os branch cutters and smash the hell out of the hard tubes, killing the snail inside at the same time.

you snail killer.

i've seen the webbing, but never the snail. i've always thought it was a worm or something. the webbing disappears after a few hours, i think the tang eats it
    so they move? or are stationary?
    they aren't in my reef tank so it doeesn't bother me but i've only seen them under rocks that i haven't moved fora long time (you know the ones that are white ont he bottem?)
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Thanks Toutouche I think it is a Vermittid snails. Now it's back to the tank to try and find it. I guess I'll just have to wait till he lets out his web again.

uhhh I posted first about the snail ID:

sorry johnny, thank you too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast