Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Just came back from Cuba

I went to Cayo Coco, weather was amazing, beach is spectacular and it's beach area is full of pipefish. I was told that the pipefish that had fans as a tail could be safe in a reef and survive the current. I was surprised to see that the type living in cuba doesn't have a fan.....more like a regular tail and swims in lots of current or no current (lagoon). I have pics of the pipefish but my camera sucks. He is clear (see through) with blue, purple and redish colors. He even let me touch him, they are so friendly. Anyone knows what it's called and if it's available locally? I also saw brown tangs with a yellow stripe just before the tail and others with a golden tail....very strange since i have never seen any pics of these before. I will also attach pics of the beach, a conch and some LR (now dead rock) that i brought back. Funny that Cuban customs dont care if you bring back LR or sand. I brought about 15-20lbs of LR and a 2l bottle of sand with no questions asked.

Pipe:

conch:

beach:

LR:
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Mike,
    Very nice pics... I know many people that have been to Cayo Coco and enjoyed it.

In regards to your rock and sand, I'm not sure what the regulations are in Cuba, but you may have been lucky.
    If you're thinking of using that in your tank, I'd make sure to boil it in water (it's dead, no loss) before using it in your tank.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

What resort did you stay on in cayo coco, I was there only a year ago.

i brought back som small rocks and petrified corals back i boiled them to make sure its dead.

Tangman: any idea what type of pipe fish that is?

Dustin: i went to El Senador, i dont recommend this hotel even though it's rated a 4.5 star. It has the nicest beach but services, restaurants and administration has lots of problems.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

thats a needle fish.. not pipe fish..

How can you tell the difference? is it the mouth?

You don't go to Cuba for the food and accomodations (they are all poor) You go for the beach because that's all there is.
    Great photos.
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

Mike,
    Fisherman is right about that fish..., it's not a Pipefish. Pipefish don't grow that big. It is common anywhere that is Caribbean. I see them all the time on the beaches even in Miami. I'm back in SOuth beach and the Keys next week and will try to get the name of that fish.
    As to the customs thing, it's not the Cuban customs that you have to worry about..., it's more like the Canadian customs that would restrict you from bringing things like this in. Did the Cdn customs see them? Did they ask/say anything about it? It's funny because you're not allowed to bring any live stuff, plants, or animals back and I thought they would consider that stuff live because of potential bacteris ( the reason why DT's took so long to be available here, or now that it is, you supposedly STILL can't bring a bottle back your self through customs).

We also went to el-senador about 2 years ago. The beach was all that, but our room was bad. That ac was leaking so bad that we woke up to a puddle of water every morning and it took them 3 days to fix it. Did you try their poutine? I hope you took a ride on the glass bottom boat. For 20$ they take you to a near by reef for the afternoon and supply the snorkel kits. I saw some awsome fish and corals. Did you try one of the coconut drinks they sell on the beach they were very good.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast