CSS owners I need advice..

OK I just picked up my 95 gal tank and have encountered a bit of a snag.... I currently have a Prizm Pro skimmer (on the 45 it was fine) but need to upgrade for multiple reasons.. one being there is a 2 1/2 inch lip around the whole top of the tank going down about 3 inches and 2- the prism wont fit not 3 - it will be underskimmed if I use it the current prizm delux.

As a HOB will the 220 ccs be able to reach accross the lip of this tank (euro bracing) ??

1 inch and an 8th ...... can ya cut some out or throw it in yer sump... can hang off yer sump also

I'm debating on 2 things then ...
    1- getting some of the glass clut down by 1 1/2 inch
    2- getting a custom overflow box (external) that will be able to go over this bracing and then do a sump set up...

Decisions decisions ...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    mp123,
    You can easily modify the CSS as it uses 1" slip tubing.
    Check out ReefCentral, there's a Rather lengthy thread regarding the CSS and the mods you can do to it.
    Excellent skimmer for the price!
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Im prety sure I saw on the threads that Tang man is talking about(on RC) that you can mod the skimmer and extend the pipes a few inches to make it work. The thread is WAY too long but if you look through it you can see the mod.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I'd go the sump route if I were you.

Aside from the variety of good reasons to use a sump, the pump on the CSS is a ittle big to hang in a tank. Plus, you will have to add the bubble trap (also big-ish) or live with a steady stream of bubbles (inevitable from having water pour into your tank).
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I guess you can just put the CSS on a small stand behind the tank (rather than hanging on the tank), and extend both the intake/output tubings. And yeah all the tubing fitting are slip-fit on the CSS, so you just need to find the correct diameter tubing and you can easily extend it.
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Boyohboy - I thought the bubble trap and the pump had to sit in the tank to pull the water and defuse all the bubbles going back into the tank ?

yes they do have to be in the tank but if u have the skimmer on a stand the pump and bubble trap won;t fit properly in the tank u will have to make the tubing on both of them longer horizontally
    Vu