Question Biomass fuge and upsidedown sandbed?

I was doing some reading as Iím planning my next upgrade to be a drilled 28g bow front with my current 33g as the sump fuge combo. One of the things Iíve came across is a xenia biomass fuge compartment into a macro algae fuge compartment and finally into an upside-down sand bed (I think thatís how it went). Iíve got and have almost always (long story about a bad crab) had xenia in my DT but thatís not, well not intentionally, for nutrient export as it is for the pulsing that my wife likes. Macro Iíve got down but, Iíve never seen a biomass fuge or an upside-down sand bed. Has anyone got one or know anything about them?

I don't know much about the u.s.d sand bed, but regular sand beds seem to do just fine, why mess with an experimantal system when we have perfectly usefull methods already?

I've never run a biomass fuge (either the xenia type or the sponge type) I presume they'd absorb particular nutrients- just like the sand beds and macro fuges. So, if you've got the space, try it out. Biological diversity make the natural world go around!! Just keep in mind that many reefkeepers find it absolutely impossible to grow xenia..
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Originally posted by reefmutt
    Just keep in mind that many reefkeepers find it absolutely impossible to grow xenia..
    Really, I grow it like a weed and laugh at what some people charge for what I sometimes have a hard time finding a home for .