Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Ant Problem, Exterminator coming on Friday....

Hey everyone,

It turns out that I have an ant infestation in my house. Tiny red/brown ants. Not Carpenter ants.

I phoned a few exterminators, and found one that was VERY helpful, and enlisted his services. He'll be here in a few days.

After a lengthy conversation, he told me that the spray he uses on the backboards is environmentally safe, derived from vegetable bi-products. It is completely safe for humans, pregnant women, children, and pets. It is actually used on humans to kill ticks.

The spray is called PERMETHRINE, Pest Control Product # 24469.

This spray is only used along the backboards, and is one of three steps during the extermination.

The 2nd step involves spraying powdered borric acid inside my walls by way of my wall recepticals to get rid of any colonies that may have established themselves.

The 3rd step is a liquid borric acid treatment around the outdoor perimeter of my house.

He assured me that this is completely safe for pets, that I don't have to leave the house, and further tried to convince me by encouraging me to search the internet regarding this product.

Has anyone had an exterminator use this product in their house with a reeftank?

As added precaution, I will shutdown my skimmer the day he comes, and keep an eye on him when he's near the tank. Should I be worried?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Well,
    After some searching of my own, I've discovered that PERMETHRINE is highly toxic to fish and aquatic lifeforms.

Since I have no choice to use an exterminator, I will be taking additional precautions.

- Skimmer and all tank related equipment will be shutdown
    - Aquarium and all related equipment will be sealed in plastic sheet with duct tape
    - Windows will be open throughout the house to properly aerate the house

I'm hoping that all airborne pollutants/insecticide will be gone within 6hours, at which time I will unwrap the tank and start up the equipment.

Can anyone add any other advice? I'm sure that I'm not the only one having to use an exterminator...

By the looks of it every ant in the Montreal area must have went to your house!!!

Isn't PERMETHRINE a drug they use in Hospitals?
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I could swing by with the truck and pick upt the tank and contents and move it to my house for safekeeping

Or may I suggest that instead of realing on open windows, go and rent some of the large fans. There are some that the FD uses to clear smoke/gases from a hose in short order.

Also before removing your plastic protection I would wash down the plastic, and surrounding stuff by the tank just to be sure.

I am not sure about the level of infestation but we have had serious ant issues several times now and have been able to get rid of them with less potent methods. There is a liquid ant killer that you set in many small dishes around the areas of concentration and they take that back to the colony and soon dead. For outside you can boil mint jelly and bromix (the rat poison) wait for it to cool back to jelly and bury it in any mound that you can find.

Hope that helps.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Saran wrap the top of the tank and all open equipment. Tape it in place and put a few small holes (1/8 to 1/4 inch DIA) in the covers. Then pressurize the air space above the tank and open equipment with air that is pumped in from a safe distance. Do this properly and no room air will enter the tank space. That's all I can think to do Vince short of making friends with the ants.
    Rob

Smile

don't worry much vince, we have exterminators all the time at the school and its just a liquid/gel that they'll place around baseboards and in hidden corners. there not fog bombing for roaches so theres no need to wrap your tank because theres no mist or aerosol. while the poison is of course poison, theres no way it could get into your tank.

I'm not so worried about the liquid/gel that they put on the baseboards as much as I'm worried about the powder that they spray in between the walls. That stuff could get airborne.

are they gonna do all 3 steps? or try 1 first to see if it was effective? are they the real small tiny sugar ants? that you find in your cuboards looking for sweets.

Yup, all three steps will be done on the same day.
    The ants are small reddish/brown, probably what you're referring to.

When they spray the Permethrine, some of it will surely be airborne (sp?) so turning off all the equipment and sealing the tank with plastic and or covering the tank with Saran Wrap is a good idea. The powdered boric acid will go in the walls but some of it will mostlikely end up on the floors near the outlets etc. Once the exterminator has left, I'd open all windows and use your inline fan to make sure that anything that is airborne gets blown outside the house and then vacuum or wash all the floors to make sure than any boric acid powder is removed. Once done, you can unwrap the tank, sump etc and re-start your equipment.
    A lot of work but it's better than poisoning your livestock.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast