Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adding calcium

Adding calcium

whats the easiest/cheapest way to add calcium? (without a reactor)

i was wondering that myself, i'm using tropic marine calcium but it's expensive. i've had to use about half the 600g bottle to get my calcium at 400 and still have to dose about a scoop a day to keep it at that level.
    Vu

okay, something is either wrong with your testing or the product sucks. there is almost NO way both of your tanks can suck up that much calcium.You would have to have wall to wall SPS corals in there which I doubt and even then those smaller tankwould just stop after the corals couldn't grow elsewere. you guys don't need reactors, you can easily easily just use KALK topoff and weak at that. I ran my 65g which had lots of SPS for a good amount of time with just water changes [1 monthly].
    most people tend to have a mixed tank therefore need even less calcium.

here is my advice to you guys,
    buy 2 new test kits, SALIFERT ALK/DKH and SALIFERT CALCIUM.
    use both SEACHEM REEF BUILDER and TURBO calcium for your additives [make sure you bring your ALK up first slowly before bringing up calcium].

OR, use KENTS KALK powder for your topoffs [limewater] which is balanced and drip it if you can. honestly, water changes for those tanks sounds easier.

my tank runs at 350 calcium and has gone as low as 270
    my alk is low also, I've never seen an adverse effect at all and can barely keep up with coral growth. I've since ordered a reactor but I have over 500gs of water to contend with and lots of stonys.

I use B-Ionic, part one (alkalinity) and part 2 (calcium) it comes with traces added of the other goodies like molybendum and strontium.
    I use the calculator here for dosing:
    http://www.kademani.com/reefchem.htm

Its just one product (2 bottles) no confusion. I add to change water at change time since my calcium level fell from 450 to 350 at water change times. Now I ad b-ionic to the change water before I refill tank.

works for me
    Canons shooting coconut creme
    40 guns in a steady stream. :coolmad:

so u guys think that 350ppm is not too low? that's what my tank usually stays at if u don;t add calcium. my tank has been up for about 6 months now and i still don;t have any coraline so that;s why i started adding calcium. i'm using salifert test kit btw
    Vu

Cool

350 is just fine, it takes time for corraline to get started and also depends on the amount of corraline on your liverock when added.

with coral shouldn't it be in the 400 to 500ppm range?

Your CA ppms are good at 350 as long as they are constantly being maintained at that level its all good. Natural reefs have a CA of 420 ppms so thats what you want idealy.

I think dosing Kalk is THE best way to maintain alk + CA in a small tank.
    As johny said, drip it to top off evaporated water works great.

It took 4 months for 3/4 of my back glass to be coralined. ALOT of flow helps and pointing a power head at a peice of rock with good coraline will help spread it. hth
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

does adding kalk cause ph to change? i've heard a lot of mixed opinons on kalk some people swear by it and others won't go near it
    Vu

I read so many nightmares about using kalkwasser, I'm scared and opted for B-ionic, more pricey, but add iodine, selenium, and other traces like iron,that otherwise wouldn't be added.
    I'm a fan of B-Ionic. '1ml B-ionic calcium will raise calcium conc. by 16ppm. ' There's not much danger of overdosing.

Kalkwasser can up your ph significantly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast