Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mushroom polyps disapearing??

I have some Jakarta live rock and on it came 5 mushroom polyps. The problem is theyve been disapearing. Im down to 2 and Im not sure what could be causing this?

I got rid of 3 box crabs and there might be a 4th one in there could they have done this?

There are also a few 6 " bristol worms in there. Do they eat polypses?

I also hear a snap, cracle, POP!, POP! Now and again,I might have a mantis in there, would they eat polypses?

I also noticed a few months ago a small nudi about 1/4"long and off white in colour, could IT be the culprite?

Let me know what you guys think.
    Thanks.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

I think I answered this over on AP. The crabs could have done this, and if there is still one left than the other two polyps might be next. Bristol worms are for the most part harmless, very doubtfull that it's them. Maybe you'll get lucky and the mantis will take care of that last box crab, or the other way around, but I've never heard of them eating coral (but I really don't much about mantis other than how to get rid of them). I know some nudi's eat zoos but again I only know enough about them to get rid of them. My guess about all this is it was/is the crabs.

Thanks, Ill have to anialate that crab He is in a hole VERY close to the last polyp that went missing. I did set up a mantis trap tonight so ill see what I come up with.

Thanks again Pique.

Reefsurfer what does your mantis trap look like. I have a really ugly big black crab in my tank that so far I have been unable to capture.

Hi Ruth,
    Try this link: http://www.seahorse.org/library/art...antisTrap.shtml

It took me 3 minutes to build
    I used saranwrap to tie a small peice of LR to the bottle for anchorage. I used mysis and scalop or bait. HTH

Ruth, please post a picture when/if you catch this guy.
    Has he done any damage?

Ironically almost a year later I've pulled out a 6th hell crab from my tank just this week-end. I wouldn't have known to look for him if I hadn't seen a mushroom spit out it's guts.

I was lucky & he decided to hide near his lunch. He's now trying to acclimate to the Gatineau sewer system & the mushroom seems to have recovered.

The only adivice I can give if the trap doesn't work is to watch the tank as much as possible. What ever's eating your mushrooms will eventually come out to eat. You just have to be quick once you see it.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Did you see any mushroom leftovers on the rock or it completely vanished. If no left overs, it could be your lighting as well. If to bright for shrooms, they detach and leave.
    That's what mine did. I had 90W daylight swirl (5600K) and I swiched to 250W MH and my shrooms are gone under rockwork. There's nothing in the tank that could have eaten them for sure. I actually saw them get up and leave.

Krugar, was this hell crab also a box crab?
    You dont happen to have a picture of him do you?
    Aclimating to the gatineau sewwer system LOL Too funny!! My other three were stabed through the shell and fed to my carpet anemone. I tried to get this last one a few times but missed and even cut a few legs off him, needless to say hes EXTRA carefull now, when he sees a glimpse of the flashlight he goes in hiding... Ill have to be EXTRA quick, thanks.

Unfortunatly the trap didnt catch anything

Bonaqua, thanks for the reply. I think one of them might have been right under the 400W, your probably right. There arent any left overs of the others, though the last one to have disapeared was under minimal lighting...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast