outdoor tank in brazil

i would like to know if any of you as experience with an outdoor tank as i will setup an outside tank in brazil with no lights

so i need to know if the sun will create too much algae

thanks

You might want to lookup Solar Tubes. They use natural sunlight, they just channel it to the tank. Sounds like you will be directly lit with sun.

Since red light is scattered or absorbed by the sea before the light normally reaches coral, you might want/need to supplement with actinic lights. Just consider the sun to be a 5500 K MH and go from there. The good news is, you have several million years before the spectrum will shift and the intensity will fall off. Changing the Sun for a new one will be A LOT of effort. ;-)
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Well, from what I have read Harley, out door tanks in california and florida all need shade cloth, up to 60% in some cases. It depends on the depth of your tank and the type of corals of course. It isnt so much for the algae rather for the heat and intensity of the light.
    -Dazz

i will be using a chiller so the heat wont be an issue

as for the shade cloth i will be using some mesh screen

the outdoor tank will be for testing as i want to do coral farming and grow phyto and zoo plankton

The Waikiki aquarium, which is part of University of Hawaii, has had outdoor reef tanks for quite a while. One tank has a large surge setup. Maybe you can digup some info of their research.

michel
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Harley,
    I have been doing lots of reading for in Florida. Many people actually use natural sunlight ( as I will be doing) with the aforementioned solar tubes. However, if you've ever done any diving around corals, you'll notice that they don't look as colorful as they do in our tanks because we "fancy up? the lighting with actinic and higher K bulbs to show off the colors. The difference between an outdoor tank and an indoor/solar tube tank is the heat issue. Indoors, the heat can be controlled and most people supplement flourescant lighting with some white and actinic during the evening or hours when they are home to view the tank. The flourescants also make the tank more pleasant as far as the colors we're used to seeing in tanks. During the day, they leave just the natural sunlight flood the tank. The tank benefits from this also because you actually get the daily travel path of the sunlight across the tank along with the natural moonlight at night in your tank. Have you ever seen a tank with moonlights that actually give off glimmer lines..., it's really cool. The life benefits from this too and many things spawn readily in the tanks. Outdoors, flourescants can be used, but it will be subdued by the intensity of the natural sunlight. Is the tank going to be viewable only outdoors, or through the wall inside the house as a kind of built in tank?
    Bottomline is just don't expect to have a nice "colorful" tank if you use only sunlight.., even though the corals will probably be happy, healthy and thrive, they just won't be up to par with what we are used to seeing.
    On another note, using natural water is cheaper and better for the life and the light is also better for the life in the tank. You need good nutirent export ( do not skimp on this dep't using natural methods) though because since the water is much more "alive" than using mixed/prepared water, you can easily get algae blooms if not controlled well.

Where in Brazil will you be exactly? I met and did some diving with a girl from Sau Paulo while in Miami.