Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live Rock - How much is too much?

I bought rock from a couple of different sources in preparation for turning my 75 salt. I'm not sure of the total but pretty sure it's over 100lbs. Lots of hiding places

The Seaclone will be replaced with a SS30002/4 and I will be upgrading the powerheads as well.

Front View

Side View

I think the rule is to have 1 pound of LR per gallon of water. The more the marrier IMO. As long as you have room to let the fish swim you should be OK. Looks good

I keep reading 1 to 1.5 pound of LR per gallon. What ever you got there looks very good.

I agree with wayn496....1 pound per gallon. However, I think it's more of a guideline, although 1-1 would be the minimum.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

It is a matter of personal preference. IMHO you have just the right amount. You are going to want to add corals on the top thich will need room to grow. Just curious, where did you get your rock. I am in Moncton and always on the hunt for a few reasonably priced pieces.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Thanks for the quick replys, all that rock seemed a bit much when I started placing it. I have a pair of fire gobies in a 10g that will appreciate the hiding spots.

I picked up some rock from PU in Saint John when they got out of SW earlier this summer, the rest I bought from a member of this forum in northern NB.

Looks Good Jeff. I can't wait to see it in person!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Being that your rock will provide the home for a large part of your bacteria and help with filtering the water you can't really have too much rock in your tank. However there is a balance that should be considered.
    You don't want so much rock that it reduces your water volume grossly. You also don't want so much rock that your fish have too little swimming room in the tank. More importantly you don't want so much rock in the tank that you can't circulate water around it properly.
    From what I see there you don't have too much rock but you have it packed pretty tightly and water movement is going to be an issue. It looks GREAT but IMO you will have some issues with it packed together like that.
    Rob

It will certainly be a challenge to open it up with removing a bunch of rock but I will give it a go tomorrow...

Jeff, you could use some cable-ties or build a frame from 1/2" pvc to allow you some room. Hope I didn't freak you out with that "man thats a lot of rock" statement.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast