Lighting for a clam?

Is 2X175w MH enough light for a clam. If so what kind of clams would be OK? I have been reading up on them a bit but all I have found about lighting is that they need high light. But how high is high enough?

How tall is a 77G tank? If it is <24" you should be able to do clams that like the sandbed (Derasa and Squamosa) as well as clams that like rockwork (Maxima and Crocea).

It is 24" tall. So a maxima or crocea should be OK if I put them up on a rock maybe midway up the tank. My wife would really like something with lots of colour so I was thinking maxima or crocea.

I have 4 crocea about 20" below my 400W MH lights so if I was you under 175W I would be start them about midway but watch because you may find that you need to move them up more. You may want to let them attach to a 1/2 clam shell to make future moves easier because once they attach to your rockwork they can be difficult to move without injuring.

Originally posted by Ruth
    I have 4 crocea about 20" below my 400W MH lights so if I was you under 175W I would be start them about midway but watch because you may find that you need to move them up more. You may want to let them attach to a 1/2 clam shell to make future moves easier because once they attach to your rockwork they can be difficult to move without injuring.
    I doubt that a maxima or crocea will keep their colors with 175 W unless they are placed very close to the light source (i.e. high in the tank). I had a maxima and it turned brown when it was low in the tank. It started to regain some of its colour when I placed it much higher. Unfortunately, it didn't survive the trip when I moved from my apartment to a house. Another thing, these clams only look good when viewed from above. If you have 175W in a canopy then you are out of luck since the canopy will prevent you from looking from above.
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

ok well maybe I can put it on an angle so I can get a good look at it!

2 x 175MH, Go for it. I have my clam on the sand under 4 x 48" VHOs and it is doing great. I have another under a single 250MH in my 30gal at work.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...50706046XKrfBa

Originally posted by wayn496
    ok well maybe I can put it on an angle so I can get a good look at it!
    Clams will aim themselves towards the light. Been there...
    20 g reef, 72 g reef

Originally posted by newguy
    How tall is a 77G tank? If it is <24" you should be able to do clams that like the sandbed (Derasa and Squamosa) as well as clams that like rockwork (Maxima and Crocea).
    Not to high jack but should maximas be put on the rock instead of the sand? Why?

Maximas's are rock dwelling clams and should be kept in a half shell or allowed to attach to a rock.
    Maxima's and crocea's do best under 250w MH not to say they won't survive under less light but they thrive under 250w 10k MH.
    I guess it's a matter of thrive or just surviving it's up to you. I have kept clams under 175's but have seen the difference.
    ALL POSTS & REPLIES ARE IMO

Hardware:
    180 gal. Reeftank 2hole drilled
    70gal long sump with fuge,
    EuroReef ES8-3 skimmer,
    Reeftek reactor, sms122 ph/CO2 controller,
    Mag 18 return closed loop return.
    Mag 24 return
    Icecap dual175 20k MH, 250 20k MH center, 2 actinic, 2 -actinic white VHOs
    Livestock:
    1 Pajama cardinal, Lawnmower blenny, Sohal tang , Regal tang, 10 Clams, Scooter blennie, Yellow wrasse, DESJARDIN TANG (SAIL FIN),2 percs