coral eating serpent star

Last night, I witnessed my tiger serpent star trying to feed on the polyps of a soft coral. His oral disc was wide open and he had about 1/8 inch of coral inside his mouth.

Pretty unusual behavior I believe. I turkey blasted krill around him and he finally let go, not without trouble.

I do not think this guy is being underfed. But I will give him at least one extra meal a week.

I target fed him twice a week, and he also ate leftovers from my feeding the fish and sun coral.

Have any of you witnessed this behavior in your serpent star?Coral eating serpent star

know what, I think all the serpent and brittle are opportunistic feeders and nothings safe. even hermits and emerald crabs are hit and miss!

I believe you are right.

No big deal since I only have two softies left in my tank.

But he better watch his butt if he attacks my SPS.

what does a trigger serpent star look like
    i think i've heard of them before
    not your common run of the mill serpent star?

don't green brittle stars eat anything..?
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

They are sandy brown with with blackish patches/stripes, am I correct?

Marc,
    Out of curiosity, have you noticed any of the coral actually damaged or missing where it was in it's mouth? It's possible it was just eating something off the surface of the coral and not the coral itself. While I've heard of Brittle/Serpent stars eating or catching other inhabitants, I've never heard of them eating corals...

I do not think it was capable of eating the Kenya Tree polyp. But it was trying. The whole polyp was in his mouth for at least 10 minutes until I lured him with krill, his favorite food. It took him another 5 minutes to get the polyp out of his mouth. He behaved as if he had trouble getting the polyp out of his oral disk. The polyp finally came out intact.

The serpent star is of the Tiger kind, with striped legs and a brown disk. It has been in my tank for about 1.5 years now.

I avoided buying the green type, which gets huge and can eat fish.

Yes, I woould also recommend avoiding the green ones. Not for the size though, as I had a red one that was just as big as the green ones get, but more for there behaviour.
    As to yours eating the coral, so you're not sure if it was infact munching on the coral or just had it in it's mouth, right? Was the polyp damaged at all? I would say there's a chance something was on the polyp that it wanted.

I agree something must have been there for him to eat. But here again, why swallow the whole polyp to get the bug? Unless some sort of coral slime coated the polyp, and he had to ingest the polyp to get the slime.

That's what I'm getting at. Many types od stars enjoy eating "Biofilm" and while Brittle/Serpents are opportunistic scavengers of meaty foodstuffs, who's to say they don't like a good piece of Biofilm for dessert every know and then!!:blah: