Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Butterfly Fish caught off Peggy's Cove

Awesome, too bad he ended up at a PU.

Just joking.

At least that PU actually had someone that could identify him.
    Ron N

Actually the guy looking after him is Dustin from this forum so he knows what he's doing.

I wrote this on another forum in response to someone's questions, i'm a little too lazy to edit it for this one. It's a really interesting thing to have in our care, and hopefully we'll do a good enough job succesfully raise him to be our store mascot...maybe.

"Firstly, it's incredibly interesting to have it at the store. It's just your run of the mill reef butterfly, but the circumstances in which it arrived are really easy to romanticize. However, this is by no means an anomole. Fish, seahorses and other tropical mammals from the tropics make their way to our coast fairly often. The only difference in this case is that someone actually took the initiative to bring it into the store and try and raise it. It's pretty amazing the amount of people who are taking this as some sign of the apocalype or christ's second coming.

It's a bit of a bitter sweet thing to have happen. On the upside it's a very heartwarming story of a cute little fish that somehow got lost from it's original location, and now he's finding himself in a very strange and overwhelming environment....wait a minute....that sounds a lot like....bemo?...namo?

I dunno, i just remember it from some "b" film made by pixar about this stupid fish. Searching memo?

All sarcasm aside, this stupid fish is perpetuating the "nemo cycle". I was fortunate enough to NOT work at the fishstore during the finding nemo phenomenon...but it now feels like a second coming, that will ultimately destroy the fish hobby forever...the end is nigh.

We (James and I) named the fish "Leonard Nemo". Because hell, why not join the two most ridiculous fan bases together to create one "super alliance" that will eventually bring us all down.

(For those who aren't quite following, we're alluding to "leonard nemoy" who played spock in star trek)

Thanks for taking interest everyone, all pessimistic feelings aside, this is a very interesting happening that i'm really glad to be part of."

On a side note, if anyone has any suggestions or words of wisdom for raising this little guy, it would be greatly appreciated.

Wow thats Fantastic!
    Very cool. I always wondered if that sort of thing happened.

I hope he lives long and prospers...
    Oh god.

Stop
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

I strongly suggest getting him out of Pets Unlimited. If you have a tank at home, Dustin, take him/her there. There is bound to be an unfortunate incident when you are not around to protect it from well meaning co-workers.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

I really wish i could, i've asked but james (the fishroom manager) is adament on keeping him at the store.

I agree with you, but i'm trying my best to prove us wrong.

Originally posted by Dustin
    I really wish i could, i've asked but james (the fishroom manager) is adament on keeping him at the store.

I agree with you, but i'm trying my best to prove us wrong.

PM me with some contact info for their head office. I have been meaning to call and complain about all the plastic plants in the saltwater tanks in Moncton. Can you believe that? Anyway, I'll add that to my list.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Plastic plants in the saltwater tanks is really ridiculous. And should definately be mentioned, have you told the people in the store, specifically the manager?

But i don't think i'm going to volunteer my involvement with regards to this. We're all going to try our best to keep this fish in the best possible shape. You'll have to agree that the added media attention will keep everyone on their toes. A dead fish could take this from good media attention, to very bad media attention.

When i said James was adament on keeping the fish in the store it may have sounded like i doubt his capabilities in caring for the fish. I don't. I think given the appropriate care and attention the fish will be fine. Sorry for any misinterpretations that may have resulted from my poor delivery in the last message.

Don't get me wrong, it's people like you that keep big chains like pets unlimited in check. I don't discourage you from complaining about something that you see unfit, for the most part I probably agree with you fully. But i'll ask that i'm not mentioned for no other reason than as of currently...this is my job.

On a side note, if you want the head office contacts i'll gladly forward you those as soon as i find them. That's public information that i have no problem relaying to you.

Dustin,

I'm all talk and no action and probably would not have mentioned the Butterfly fish. I did mention to the store manager that the plants don't belong in a saltwater tank. I went so far as to tell him that it gave the impression that they do not know anything about the hobby. He feels they look nice. I guess he is trying to appeal to the Finding Nemo audience. Oh well.

Hardware:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast