Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Angry Fiji Imports on HOLD - Hopefully only temporarily...

http://www.cites.org/eng/news/sundry...renewed2.shtml

ACTION: Effective immediately, the United States will prohibit the import of CITIES listed specimens from Fiji or CITES listed specimens with an origin of Fiji until further notice. The United States will also prohibit the export or re-export of CITES listed specimens to Fiji or the re-export of CITIES-listed specimens with an origin of Fiji until further notice. Any such shipments are subject to seizure and forfeiture.

Message from Mr. Walt Smith himself...

From the inside ÖÖ.
    A few people have asked me to comment on this thread and I am happy to share what I know so far.
    It is true that Fiji has been shut down for an undetermined amount of time. Fiji has been given one deadline after another to get an important piece of legislation in place and for one reason or another that has had some difficulty getting to the table. The main reason is that the official in charge is completely incompetent and felt that if he just ignored the responsibility it would just go away. In fact he does not know how to work his email and when someone else from government stepped in to try and help he found over 200 messages that were unopened from C.I.T.E.S. warning him of the impending deadlines. This is no joke Ö.. thatís just how silly this whole thing is! It is no wonder that C.I.T.E.S. finally gave up and imposed their final deadline which was October 31, 2003.
    This is not the fault of the exporters, we did our job and supplied all of the information required to set the quota and report our exports while everything was in compliance with the exception of this one piece of paper that is supposed to come from someone who canít even spell regulation let alone communicate about one.
    Amazingly enough once this person left the country on government business another person stepped in and got the job done. However, it was not done in time enough to meet the deadline but just the day before the deadline. What happens next is that today Parliament will meet to approve the legislation (reliable word has it that they will) and it will be published in the Gazette (government paper) on Friday and once C.I.T.E.S. sees this they will lift the ban. Two things can happen here to spoil this 1) Parliament may want to delay the process by asking for more time to review it, I was told that this was unlikely 2) C.I.T.E.S. could take their sweet time to lift the ban to teach Fiji a lesson, also unlikely (I hope).
    If all goes well everything should be back to normal next week. A few things in some of these post I need to clear up. No, I am not in Fiji right now as was mentioned and Fiji has never been shut down yet, not even for a week as someone has suggested that it happens every year about this time.
    One piece of good news is that my cultured rock is still ok to bring in and we have a very big load coming in tomorrow and this could be a very good time to finally take a look at some very nice rock, if I donít say so myself (plug, plug).
    I hope this clears up some of your questions or prevents any silly rumors from getting out of hand like Iím in a Fiji jail eating rats for the rest of my life.
    Take care all and I will pray for the future of a business I have worked so hard for and the 350+ employees that have families depending on me for their daily bread. Fiji has it hard enough right now without this hitting their economy.
    Cheers,
    Walt
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ijo
    Nice find TM... hope Walt is right and everything goes smoothly.!!!

IJO

Aw JEEZ!!!

Thanks for posting this.

I am in the middle of filling out my CITIES export form so I can move my corals from the US to Canada.

I now know the right answer to put in that "origin box" on the form is NOT FROM FIJI. If I live through this experience, I'll post the tricks and traps of the process. It looks a little intimidating right now.

Bill

Bvoss:

Keep us posted on your CITES experience. I for one, am curious about the process.

Bvoss:

You're very welcome. As bristleworm indicated, please keep us all up to date...

Bill,
    Still waiting to meet you in person as I mentioned to you previously!!! Any idea what area you'll be staying yet? West Island hopefully!!

Thanks for the good wishes. Right now I expect to end up in NDG. My job will keep me close to downtown. I'm going to look for a place with plenty of room to host meetings and frag swaps.

I should start the move after Christmas. If my CITES export permit is approved, I'll be begging for local reefers to host some of my homeless imigrant corals for a couple of months while I get my tank established (frags in exchange for rent). I am going to sell off most of my livestock, but I can't part with some of my zoos, SPS, and my big Crocea.

I'll be ordering overflows from acrylic city and I'll probably see if I can talk Van out of a reef rat. I hope to meet you all in a couple of months.

Bill

Bill
    What do you have as livestock? As I told you, I could probably babysit some of your corals for awhile.

"part with some of my zoos, SPS, and my big Crocea"

Zoos eh? We need to talk

UPDATE:

Message from WALT SMITH

Hi All,
    This is the latest news regarding the Fiji Ban.
    Rob Perry Jones is the guy from T.R.A.F.F.I.C. that reports to C.I.T.E.S. that I spoke about in the other thread.
    We are hoping that this will all be over soon.
    Cheers,
    Walt

Dear All,

As you may have heard, the Endangered and Protected Species Regulations (2003) were approved by Cabinet on 4 November 2003.

The text and associated forms of the regulations were compiled and signed by the Minister on 5 Nov. They were provided by the Department of Environment to the Solicitor General's office for approval at 8am this morning (6 Nov) before being taken by DoE to the Government Printer with a request from the Solicitor General's office for immediate
    attention.

It is anticipated that they will be published tomorrow (7 November), but it is not possible to say just yet with absolute certainty that they will be ready tomorrow - the matter now rests with the Government Printer. DoE and TRAFFIC will be following up with relevant people tomorrow and will keep you updated on progress. Once published, they will be provided by DoE to the CITES Secretariat immediately.

I hope this addresses any questions - but you're welcome to call if you have any further questions.

with regards,
    rob

Rob Parry-Jones
    TRAFFIC Oceania South Pacific Programme

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast