Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Few pics from Miami and the Keys.

Well, I got back last week from a few weeks of diving in both Miami and the Keys and a person I was diving with one of the times, took some pics that came out pretty decent. Unfortunately, they were in high resolution and I had to shrink them down too much by my taste to display here as you lose much of the smaller details if you ask me. But here they are anyways.
    This first one is a HUGE Barracuda that always hangs out about 4 or 5 feet down under the boats on a particular reef and is somewhat unnerving for the inexperienced diver or snorkelers when they're getting back on the boat. It's actually quite harmless and it only "looks" small in the pic. it's about 5 feet long in reality and about 5" wide!!

This next one is a nice sized Blue Parrotfish of about 1 1/2 feet long. You lose all the details in the different tones of blue all over it unfortuantely in the pic.

Here's a nice pic that shows the wide variety of Caribbean species of corals around Florida. Mostly, Gorgs, Seafans, Elkhorn, Brains, Firecoral, sponges of al sorts coming out your wazzoo!! Encrusting corals, etc...

There is a huge french Angelfish in the middle of this pic. It was clear when the pic was the original size. There is lots of Angels around everywhere you dive and they are practically al at least 1 foot tall. It's awesome to swim 2 inches away from these gorgeous fish!!

As expected, Gorgs and Seafans dominate the corals found around there. They are all caribbean species.
    On one particular wreck, I saw lots of rare Yellow Blade Gorgs that resemble a Purple Blade, except the branches are a pale yellow. REALLY nice and I noted the wreck for the future This is a Gorg that is photosynthetic, easy to care for and flourish in an aquarium, yet unavailable to buy in the hobby trade...

Well, there are tons of species of fish in these waters but there are some that seem to dominate in numbers, Grunts being one of them. Here's one that came out particularly good and sharp.

Here is one of many Rays I got to see. There were different types too. I got to see some nice EagleRays up close and touch them as they swam by. Actually, I got to swim with many cool creatures, some being many, many dolphins ( which are much darker than you'd expect around Florida..., almost charcoal color), along with a couple types of sharks, lots of Sea Turtles ( actually got to hang on to 1 once or twice), Cowfish, Boxfish, many Angels, a couple nice sized Green Moray Eels, a few big Scorpionfish, etc...

Here's another Ray

Aaargh!! What's this weird looking Seacreature??!!!!!

One of many Moon Jellyfish that are around only starting the end of the summer. These in particluar are around 1 foot wide and have tentacles only around the perimeter of their body and are only about 2" long. They also don't sting hard at all. It feels like a tiny pinch actually and is not uncomftorable at all. None the less, if you happen to stumble into a patch of them, it can be irritating.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast