Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grow out tank pics.

Here are some pics I took of my grow out tank. 3 x XM 10kís. I choose the XMís because everyone online raves about the 10k XM bulbs being great for growth, but I have not seen any difference between them and the Radiumís I have over my display tank. The only real difference is in color. The corals seem to color up MUCH MUCH better in my display tank. I may go with Radiumís over my grow out tank as well next time around.

225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMís, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

I replied on another board,

Some people use 10k and have incredible growth like myself and love the color with actinics,some use 20k and have incredible growth and coloration which I have seen.

I personally prefer the look of 10k`s.

Great growth does not only come from the bulb but water quality feeding ect all this has to be factored in.I noticed that you have some RTN on corals and a fair amount of slime/diatom algae is your water parameters ok?
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

Tony,
    Robin is correct abouut the fact that many factors play in how the corals do. I personally used radiums and lastly 10k XM's and I liked the XM's for the wacky colors the corals got. The 20k Radiums trick you into thinking the color is prettier because of the huge amount of blue that makes the corals look colorful, while the 10k XM's give a more plain white light. If you supplement with good actinic light, you "should" get wackier colors with the XM's. Bvoss hit it on the head when he once said 10k XM's are not a normal bulb, but rather a freak of nature. if growth is what you want the most, then go with 6500k bulbs, but expect to see mostly greens and browns on the corals.
    You have to compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefSalt
    I replied on another board,

Some people use 10k and have incredible growth like myself and love the color with actinics,some use 20k and have incredible growth and coloration which I have seen.

I personally prefer the look of 10k`s.

Great growth does not only come from the bulb but water quality feeding ect all this has to be factored in.I noticed that you have some RTN on corals and a fair amount of slime/diatom algae is your water parameters ok?
    It's not RTN you see there, The corals that look as if they are RTNing are just corals that had fell over into the sand bed in my display tank and bleached, that's why I moved them into the grow out tank. The slime/diatom algae you see is just in my grow out tank and only on the egg create(ass you could see in my first pic), the first time I saw it was when I put the egg create in. I assume that it's leaching phosphates but Iím not worried because all my parameters are in check and the corals all look good. Most of it has gone away and Its disappearing by the day. I assume that the leaching should stop.

As far as 10k VS the Radiums, The grow out and display are tied in together so the water params are the same in both tanks. Iím getting better growth and coloration from my Radiums and Itís not the color of the bulb tricking me into thinking this. As soon as I move a coral that doesnít look to hot from my grow out into my display I notice a color change within a week.
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,

ohh by the way, has anybody else experienced anything like this after adding egg create?

Talking

Very nice setup

Hi Tony,
    I never had eggcrate leach phosphates,
    but I must say that once again water parameters,water movement,feeding change of lighting from 20k to 10k will have effects on your frags growth.

I tossed in some 20k XM`s last night and I just cant stand the photoshoped look I got, when I placed in my 10ks back in I still had some real funky colors and intensity was great.

well like they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

just so that everyone here doesn't think my display looks like that.

Ummmm like WOW! Looks awesome!

yes, awesome!
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast