Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad batch of IO Salt ?

Hi All,

I have a 3 month old 77gallon tank. There has been very little coraline growth and now white blotches have been appearing on the LR.

I decided to run some tests and came up with the following:

calcium - 300
    KH - 80 mg/L (using a hagen test for this, not sure how to convert to dKH, the kit reccomends 100-125 mg/L for salt tanks)
    PH - 7.8 (salifert kit)

So I mixed some water last night for a change (15 gallons) using IO salt (same bucket I've been using since the start) and tested the water this morning (not yet added to the tank).

It reads:

Alk: 50mg/L
    Ph: 7.7

Now my questions is could the cause be a bad bacth of IO ? What should I do ? What else could be the cause ? Should I dose with anything ? please help !!!!

Nick.

what makes you think that the salt is bad? is it a brand new pail that you haven't touched yet? If your not dosing anything then most salts will give you a reading of around 300 and up a bit. The ph of fresh salt is usually a little low as well.
    Those Hagen kits are ,how should I say,[not to reliable].
    New mixed salt should age at least 2 days but some use it right away.[I like it to sit with a power head and heater for at least 2 days].
    If your not dosing a calcium and buffer then getting the coraline growth will take some time. If you don't have a ton of SPS corals or clams then don't sweat it. You should get some good test kits and supplements if you want and check your water periodically. I like SALIFERT kits for calcium and REDSEA for ph and alk.

After doing a bunch of reading on RC I'm postivie that the salt is fine. I'l try dosing Alk/Cal and try to find another KH test kit in the meantime.

Should I not use anything to raise the PH from 7.7 to 8.3 ?

NBREAU

is the water in your tank that ph reading or new water? You should also fill in the field section under your name so we know what tank your running with a note on types of corals ya have. You can use a 2 part like BOINIC for calcium and alk or start dosing KALK. this is probaly your best solution at this point as Kalk will balance your ph and alk. Also, if you dose to get your calcium up then Kalk helps keep it there not to mention it also bindes up Phosphate. I use KENTS TURBO calcium and drip Kalk.

The PH is 7.7-7.8 in both the tank AND newly mixed water.

Tank is 3 months old, 77 gallon, no corals, 2 false clown and 90lbs live rock along with some cleanup (although most crabes and smaller snails have slowly died...)

all other readings such as salt, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, phos are all fine using mostly salifert kits
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

nbreau

With what you've got I won't even waste the money on additives at this point. Let your tank age alot more and add corals slowly. Chances are that your test kit isn't accurate and I wouldn't even worry with that ph. You could even get away with BI or even TRImonthly water changes of 15 to 20%. You could buy some REEFBUILDER or something similar if you want to boost things and get the coraline going.[P.S, coraline can be a pain after! scrape scarape]

ok, i'll get a bottle of the kalwahser(sp?) alk/calc dosing and start adding that to my top up as well as change water.

Should i do anything about the low ph or should this fix itself ?
    ======================

Wow, just did a calcium test on newly mixed water and it measures 200 or lower.... is that normal ?
    ======================

Nick,like i told you before be patient buddy.Your tank is still not mature enough.Just add a couple more fish and enjoy that for awhile till the tank matures.
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

This is the water i juist mixed, not even in the tank yet...
    ======================

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast