Thread: Blenny trouble

Blenny trouble

Hello everyone. I just got home from Ontario the other day and I notices that my scooter blenny is looking really thin. He use to be thick and full. Do anyone know what I could do to get him eating again. I don't know if it matters but I have a Mandarine Goby in there as well. Nothing had changes in the aquarium. Everything elese looks very healthy. Any info would be great. This is probably the worst thing to say but i'd like to hope there's a fast solution to this problem because i'm heading to Ontario again on Saturday for 6 months.

Thanks again,
    Mike
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

How big is the tank? Do you have a fuge?

Scooters & mandarines are real close cousins. Scooters are Synchiropus stellatus and mandarines are Synchiropus splendidus / picturatus depending if you've got a green or a spotted mandarine.

It could just be the mandarine is out competing the scooter. Will either take prepaired foods?

You might also dry baby brine shrimp, but whomever is tank sitting would have to know how to make it.

An extra hang on fuge might raise the bug population, but it's not a quick solution, it has to get populated and start making baby pods...

Any other signs of stress or is he just thin?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

nope he's just thin. I'm going to throw in some nori???? Might work or at least help. i'm going to go into Fredericton and see if anyone in there had any frozen foods. Last time I checked there was nothing so it's not looking very promising. Thanks for the info.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Scooter blennies are a type of dragonette, they won't eat the nori unless they accidentally eat some while picking a pod off of it.

Getting any dragonette to eat frozen food takes time & patience. Many will never accept anything but live food.

The only fast solution I can think of would be to oder some pods from Ivan, if he can ship them too you before you leave.

Set up another fuge as a 'pod factory' an populate it with the new pods. It'll take time, but as long as the pods have a food supply, they'll make babies & the dragonettes will eat whatever wanders into the display tank.

Cheers!

Oh if the person looking after your tank can culture baby brine shrimp from cysts, dragonettes can survive off them.

You have to pretty much add BBS daily though & you should gut load them, otherwise you're pretty much only feeding them popcorn.

IMHO it's a stop gap, but it'll give him something too eat until you can raise your pod population.

Cheers!