Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Close call.

Close call.

Well as the title states I had a very close call last night and this morning. The power went out yesterday at about 4:30 and it came back on at about 11:30 today!! I live in a court yard and ours was the only one that the power went out on!!I was a nervous wreck last night. I got up this morning to find all the fish in my tank lying on the bottom on there sides. They wern't dead but they were dam close. So I was thinking to myself what I could do to put some oxygen and heat back into the water and it dawned on me to get an inverter. So off to Canadian Tire I went in search of one. Well I came back with an Eliminator 600amps. I was hoping that it would be ok. Well I took it out of the box and I plugged in a small powerhead and a 200Watt heater and it ran for anout 3 hours solid with out even charging it. I was so happy. So as the powerhead started to put more oxygen into the tank the fish started to move around a little. When it finally ran out I pulled the car around and plugged it in and ran an extension cord from it to the tank and about 10 minutes later the power came back on. I just went down to check on everything and all looks well. To make matters worst I'm leaving for Ontario tomorrow again so I had my fingers crossed that the power would come back on. Thank God!!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Good to hear that it turned out ok and that everything is fine.

It's always good to have some sort of backup power.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Good to hear that everything seems o.k. The inverter is a good thing to have but the only thing is that it does not go on automaticly so you have to be there to save the day.

Keep us posted on how things go.

Steph

Glad to see everything went in your favour. Just wondering what kind of power head you were using? Alot of motors don't like the square wave generated by most inverters and I'd rather not buy a bunch of powerheads to find out which ones work and don't work.
    Adam

I didn't really concern myself with that. I was stressed out to the max, so any powerhead would do in a situation like that. I was happy that it moved water. Maybe someone else could chime in and say what type of PH's would be acceptable. The one that I used was a Hagen 202.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

I would have been in the same boat, probably alot of people would have been, trying anything hoping something would work. I actually think i have one of those power heads somewhere, retired it a few months ago, may have to dig it out and give it a try. Right now I don't really have anything if the power does go out, so that's my next project for the tank.
    Adam

I can only offer my limited experience. The pump from my Eclipse lid (no longer in service) wouldn't start on my APC UPS. It would just rattle.

All of the MaxiJet 1200s I've tried fired up without problem.

I don't know if the MaxiJets run hotter or would lose life span because of the cheap UPS, but, I know the water was being moved without apparent issue.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I'd say so long as it throws water you should be good to go.

Everything is looking ok now. I think the one that was hit the hardest was my Maroon Clown. He's still a little sluggish.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

good to hear all turned out well Mike

Glad everything went OK for you without disaster. If I could suggest something, have someone check on the tank while you are away and explain to them your emergency plan that you just used. Better yet, write it down as a step by step instruction and have a less knowledgeable member of the family, in fish matters that is, try it out . Better be safe than sorry.

Anyway, glad everything turned out fine.
    Serge

Common Sense - Is'nt!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast